Cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Last year we had a new boiler system fitted. The wife and I fitted the previous system with NO knowledge just common sense and drawings, it lasted 28 years. Last year I had a so called boiler company and a qualified " use " this word very loosely "FITTER" fit a new system, he worked for the company. He said he could not fit it in the loft so put it in the VERY SMALL bathroom, gas pipe outside and up the outside wall, but this QUALIFIELD fitter ran the gas pipe ACROSS the gutter down pipe drain, he made so many mistakes. Anyway cut a long story short, I had to remove the bathroom RAD did some work refitted it back all worked, but next day and since the RAD and pipework to it is stone cold, all the other RADS are working fine. ANY IDEAS PLEASE. Reg.

Sponsored Links
Close all the other rads then hopefully it will blow through. Bleed as necessary

Hi motorbiking, good idea, I will try that tomorrow. When I turn off all the rads leave the cold on ???. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes ,both valves open on the rad that won't heat up , all other rads close their TRV only ( or wheel head ) and don't touch their lockshield valve.

Radiators have two valves ,one in each end.
TRV = thermostatic radiator valve ,used by householder to alter temperature ,or turn rad off .Usually have a large plastic head with numbers on it.
Some rads don't have a TRV ,just a wheelhead ,small white plastic cap with + and - on it . These are also used by householder to regulate rads temperature or turn it off.
The valve on the other end of the rad is the lockshield ,and is set by the system installer ,and not generally altered by the householder.

HI terryplumb, thanks for your help, will try that today.

Hi motorbiking & terryplumb, All working now THANK YOU but I have caused another problem if you can help please. When I turned off the last rad tap I had to use a spanner and I sheared off the top flat piece on the tap, HELP please.

Hi turn off the mains and and drain first I assume, Cheers

Is your system sealed / pressurised ,or fed from a loft tank ?
Although it's possible to swap a rad valve without draining fully ( called snatching) it's probably better to drain .

Hi, not sure we did have a tank, but now since we have had a new boiler so its got to be one of the others but I don't know how to tell. I will turn off the mains and drain the RAD for safety. Cheers.

Tell us the boiler make and model.
Do you have a hot water cylinder ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back