Unsuccessful work done to cure cold rads

It has taken some time, but between the local plumbing company and myself we tracked down several blockages in the pipework to the cold rads. Solid blockages! And lots of rubbish (grit, scale, rust) in the system.

Well you see he was right about the blockages! ( Well this time at least! )

Inhibitor Sentinel X100 use one can.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.

I still have two rads to fix, both of which only get lukewarm. I'm sure the trusty 'wire up the pipe' might clear out the guff - this is how I cleared the other blockages.

For a final clean out before I add the inhibitor, I've been reading about Sentinel Deposit remover. The instructions say not to heat beyond 60deg. How can I ensure this when circulating using the boiler's pump?

It might just be balancing!

Turning each rad valve in turn into a bucket might give an idea of the flow rate/blockage location.

I think the Sentinel deposit remover is basically citric acid. Fernox DS40 is easier to use but either can make rads leak.

If using DS40 its best to turn off both ends of all rads that are OK and just dose the problem parts. I suggest about 100 grams or less at a time.

Just keep the boiler thermostat down low. Start by circulating it cold for 20 minutes before warming it up just a little.

If the blockage is lime based you might need sulphamic acid which is sold as DS3.

Tony

Tony,

Again, thanks for the quick response and advice.
Sorry for sounding thick, but I'm not sure how to circulate the CH water COLD to the rads. I think this Powermax bu**er has a seperate pump for the central heating, controlled by the thermostat. If the stat doesn't click (usually at about 23deg mark) then I don't think the pump kicks in.
In otherwords, I need the heating set hot before anything circulates? So how can I circulate cold?

Sponsored Links
The only way you can do it with your boiler is to let the store go cold and then set the CH stat to the minimum. Thats not ideal though.

I would fiddle the hold off stat to bring the CH pump on with no temperature reached in the store.

OR you could let the store get cold and power the CH pump from a 13 A socket fused at 3 A.!!!

If you let it circulate hot at first it can gas too quickly and need lots of bleeding all at at the same time.

Tony

i would suggest that one litre of inhibitor would be insufficient due to the water volume in this system

Well spoTTED!

The dosage is 1 li per 100 litres of system volume.

The average system with modern rads is about 50-80 litres but in your case you have a larger than average volume in the boiler store. I think the boiler may be about 90 litres and so if so then two cans of inhibitor would be needed.

If using an acid cleanser then you must drain and refill several times to ensure there is no acid left or use a neutraliser.

I taste a drop the water for any traces of citric acid as thats a sensitive taste but I dont recommend that to everyone.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back