Cold replaced Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So whilst my Mum is out of the country I thought it would be lovely to surprise her with a fully decorated bathroom when she returns. And me being the clever clogs looked up and found how to take the radiator off the wall - excellent! My painted walls look wonderful!

I have now put my radiator back on the wall, tightened up the nuts, poured in the old water, undone the lock valve and then undone the other valve, but it's not getting warm! I have since read that I should have had the bleed valve open when I was pouring in the water back in, and that I should have opened the other valve before opening the lock valve. I have since tried to open the bleed valve but no water comes out at all and there is no hissing of air of anything. Bit worried I am going to get rather shouted at!!

So any help, ideas, theories would be much appreciated to save me!!

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Can`t have your mom shout when you meant well!
Is it a combi system? Has the pressure dropped to zero? Have the other rads heated up? If not, charge the filling loop.
If not a combi, the bleed screw vent may be blocked. Turn both valves off, take out the bleed screw and poke a paper clip type wire into the hole, till you find where it goes down into rad. wire will be mucky. Replace screw, open valves, crack open bleed screw, wait till water flows, tighten screw.

Thanks for your replies - here are my limited answers!

Seco - I pour the old water back into the top of the radiator - it's a towel radiator so I used a funnel and slowly poured it all back in (minus the black sludge! - not sure if that is the source of the problem?)

2929twin - All the other radiators in the house heated up fine last night - just had a read about the combi system and I don't think we have one of those (we have a main hot water tank and an immersion heater) but I'm not sure how or where to check the pressure?
I'll try your tip about the bleed screw when I get home tomorrow and give you an update! I think that might be the issue as I did store it upside down when I was decorating so any sludge would have settled there...think it might be time to get the system cleaned! (Although I think that might be a job for a real plumber! :p )

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Have checked the bleed screw, I ended up taking off the whole thing to clean it properly. Put it back on and opened the bleed screw and water came out so the radiator now has no air trapped, however it is still not heating up?

Any more ideas I could try out?

Thanks in advance again!

Feel the pipes connected to the radiator. Do they both feel hot, but one hotter than the other?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back