Cold Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I Have this really cold room with floorboards in my house Tipically the one i spend most my time in.

On top of the floor boards it has 6mm insulation and 6mm laminate flooring. it has a 1 metre long twin panel twin convecter radiator.

I can't for the life of me work out how to heat the dam space. the radiator gets hot. but its not combatting the cold, so was wondering if its something to do with the structure of the building. i've attached a few sketches of what the room is like.

I work as a cad engineer in building services and the Engineers seem to think that the radiator should heat that room up fine.

if any one can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guy

Sponsored Links
Well according to your sketches there's no measurable insulation surrounding the room so that would probably be why the heat is escaping. :rolleyes:

oops typical cad engineer - The room is small, 3.5 x 3.2.

Hi Seco ,I'm surprised you didn't pick up that the sketches were not done in cad.

Hi Freddy, what do you mean "no measurable insulation surrounding the room"? like the walls being just solid brick and no cavity insulation?

My other reception room is simular size shape and build the only difference that it has concrete flooring.

Thanks for the replys.

Guy

Sponsored Links
Well there is no insulation in the walls assuming it is as per your drawing and a layer of '6mm foil backed insulation' as per your drawing is gonna do very little.

What kind of window is it?

Of course, you are all forgetting the other possibility for the room being cold.

Perhaps there is a ghost in there!!!!! :evil:

Lots vital info missing, the heat out put and type of radiator installed, dimensions of rad, if boiler fed whats the temp set at, does it have stat valves, are they faulty, has it been balanced.

Hi.

My windows are uPVC Double Glazing so is the half glazed door.

I don't have much draughts to be honest, i've been around the room and checked and can't feel any, though the floors are freezing.

If i do have ghost, I don't think its a poltergiest. thank god!.

The rad size is about 1000mmx600mm twin panel, twin convecter, boiler fed, Last in run. It gets piping hot so im assuming its balanced. i've bleed them all too. all my radiators in the house have stat valves. how do i know if ones faulty?

Oh Boiler is set at full, room thermostat set at 25 Degree's, that is in the other room which is warm.

Thanks for all the replys

Radiator is undersized for room assuming it's a 2.4 m hight, needs to be almost 1/2 as big again, 1.4m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back