Cold start rattle Mercedes c180 petrol 2012, 59700 miles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the timing chain replaced 2yrs ago it’s only done 8000 miles since, now it appears to be making the same noise again, took it to a garage of course it did not do it on start up there, only seems to do it on first start up. Wonder if a thicker grade of oil might coat the chain better. Any ideas

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It could be worth asking a second opinion, just in case it's the hydraulic valve lifters that are making the noise - if this engine has them.
A worn timing chain tends to rattle, regardless of temperature.
John :)

In fact modern engines prefer thinner oils, especially for circulation at start up.
Don't know what the recommendation is for your model or the car's total mileage, but generally speaking I wouldn't go any 'thicker' than 10w/40.

Sponsored Links
I don't know which is worse, 50k miles for a timing chain or 8k miles for its replacement. Did they replace just the chain or the sprockets, tensioners etc?

Might be time for a good run and a trade-in. I guess modern Mercs don't do half a million miles like the old ones did.

this isnt a great engine from mercedes, and the timing chain is common, i think this has the M271 engine, have a google, the chains and sprockets.

how long does the rattle last on cold start up?

I’m of the same opinion, nice car to drive build quality not the same.

Has not made the noise on start up for the last few days, when it did make the noise it only lasted while I started the ignition and the when the engine started to run it stopped and ok until next morning start up.

Back when I was truck driving the workshop foreman at one of the outfits I worked for used the same expression any time a driver reported an unfamiliar noise; 'Let it develop' :rolleyes:

Has not made the noise on start up for the last few days, when it did make the noise it only lasted while I started the ignition and the when the engine started to run it stopped and ok until next morning start up.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, a little bit of chain rattle on first start up is ok, it's when it's rattling constantly it's an issue.

As long as the rattle goes after a few seconds of the engine starting it's ok

I don't know which is worse, 50k miles for a timing chain or 8k miles for its replacement. Did they replace just the chain or the sprockets, tensioners etc?

Might be time for a good run and a trade-in. I guess modern Mercs don't do half a million miles like the old ones did.
And more!
Many moons ago my friend's father let us borrow his gold colour Mercedes 190.
It had reset the counter having passed the 1.000.000 mark.
Mind you, that was in km.

Try a better brand/quality 5w40 fully synthetic... Flush engine first and obviously use a new filter

Sponsored Links
Back