Honda CRV - oil pump shaken itself apart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 2007 Honda CR-V, Diesel - it's done 61,000 miles. No major problems while we've had it.

We took it in for a service and MOT at a local garage; they replaced the rear brake pads & drained/replaced the oil & filters.

As soon as we drove it the next day, we were away of a rattling noise, particularly loud when the clutch was engaged.

The noise got louder and louder until eventually it wasn't just when the clutch was engaged, it was when the engine was idling too.

We took it back to the garage. After lots of puzzling, they removed the sump and, underneath, found that one bolt had come completely loose from the oil pump and was sitting in the sump, the others were all loose. They say that this was what was causing the rattling.

The implication here is that it's nothing they've done - yet it would be a huge coincidence for this to just magically occur to the car while it was with them.

So, can anybody help me with some possible answers here? In particular:

1. What might have caused these bolts to become loose in the course of a garage doing a routine servicie on a car.

2. We had another garage replace the front brake calipers two months ago, is that something that could have caused this? Does this task involve removing the sump and/or oil pump? Perhaps they left the bolts loose.

3. Is tightening them up going to fix this, or is there potentially an underlying problem?

Thanks in advance - it's scary not knowing much about cars and I don't want to be taken advantage of here; any knowledge here could bolster our chances of getting the garage to accept liability if necessary.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, but there's nothing in the world that would cause this, other than faulty assembly at the plant.......do make enquiries recall wise though!
I'm puzzled why this should manifest with the clutch pedal engaged!
I would imagine with the oil pump loose, there would have been a drop in oil pressure too but I can't qualify that.
It's a case of massive bad luck, I'm afraid.
John :)

I'm sorry, but there's nothing in the world that would cause this, other than faulty assembly at the plant.......do make enquiries recall wise though!
I'm puzzled why this should manifest with the clutch pedal engaged!
I would imagine with the oil pump loose, there would have been a drop in oil pressure too but I can't qualify that.
It's a case of massive bad luck, I'm afraid.

Cheers for the reply - it was certainly a lot louder with the clutch engaged initially, but after a while it was pretty loud regardless.

After 20-25 miles, the oil warning light began coming on intermittently. At this point, we pulled over and called the AA, who declared it unsafe to drive and recovered us back to our home.

Yep, that is what I expected and the AA man was right on.
Although the car is well out of warranty, Honda should still be told about it.....it's one of those things that simply mustn't happen.

Sponsored Links
While you re thinking about this model, how difficult is it replacing a noisy rear wheel bearing?

I drove this one for nearly four weeks of my holiday before I looked underneath to see that it was a four wheel drive ( petrol ).

Having been accustomed to landrover/rangerover etc. I was surprised to see a 4wd with no control options at all. Is this common?

Nor did I notice any indication when driving although I did little driving in the bush.

Tony

Did you or the AA man have to put oil into the engine after the noise first appeared?
Any warning lights come on, even for a short period of time, while driving?

It''s not unheard of for a mechanic to forget to refill the sump after an oil change; that would make the pump rattle quite a bit!

It''s not unheard of for a mechanic to forget to refill the sump after an oil change; that would make the pump rattle quite a bit!
I read the thread and wondered this myself. A pump, or anything else inside an engine coming loose like that is almost unheard of, and from my somewhat limited experience with Honda bike engines, everything on Hondas is done up really tight, I was interested enough to have a look on the net. It appears that the pump is chain driven, so if the pump was actually loose you can only guess that the chain was making a rattle as well.
I'd guess that there is more to this than can ever be proved.

Do we suspect a cover up here :eek: :p
Usually flange head bolts are used in situations like this, especially where Jap stuff is involved but as you said, we'll never know.....
One of the corniest reports I have heard of lately was when my brother in laws Sharan went in for a new dual mass flywheel.....the local Ford garage said that it was that which caused the vehicle to catch fire whilst in their care :p
Hilarious!

Do we suspect a cover up here :eek: :p
Usually flange head bolts are used in situations like this, especially where Jap stuff is involved but as you said, we'll never know.....
One of the corniest reports I have heard of lately was when my brother in laws Sharan went in for a new dual mass flywheel.....the local Ford garage said that it was that which caused the vehicle to catch fire whilst in their care :p
Hilarious!
Trouble is John, I don't trust any of 'em. Unfair of me maybe, but I've seen and heard too much.
If they'd told me my car had "spontaneously combusted" like that, I seriously think I'd have lost it then and there!

Sponsored Links
Back