cold towel warmer 2 boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have searched forums and cant find an answer any help would be great
the house in question has a floor standing oil boiler and a log burner with back boiler i will get the details on the boilers if requested the problem is when the log burner is fired up everything is fine but when its just the oil boiler the towel warmer in the bathroom stays cold there are no trv,s fitted to any rads
any help would be great

Sponsored Links
It could be that the towel rail is connected only to the woodburner as a heat leak. This dissipates heat when the rest of the system is up to temperature. It's not necessary with the oil fired boiler as its thermostat will shut it off when no heat is required.

Having said that, connecting two boilers together is not as easy as it sounds. If not done properly all sorts of problems can be caused. Often unskilled or ignorant individuals will simply connect two boilers together.

You don't give any information about the design and / or installation of the system. All a boiler does is heat water, and it sounds like they both do that. Unfortunately good boilers often get the blame for the bad system they are connected to.

Have a look at the diagram here. This shows a typical twin boiler installation, with a neutralising chamber in the centre. If you could provide a sketch of your system as it is presently installed, then I'm sure someone will be able to help you further.

Many thanks stem
im still no wiser the house was empty for some time when i went in all i did was refitted new towel warmer in 2 rooms while i was fitting new bathrooms (im a bathroom fitter).
i simply cut the 15mm pipes on the old rad below the floor and re-piped the new warmers in the walls i didn't refill the system as the customer was having the auger removed and the logburner (with back boiler) fitted so i left the system empty the heating engineer then came and fitted the burner.
when i returned to retile the kitchen floor i was told that the warmer in the bathroom only got hot when log burner was on and cold when just the oil burner was on.
im trying to sort it out because its just good business to do so.
now then in the airing cupboard upstairs is right next to the problem towel warmer. under the hot water tank is what i was told is an heat exchange unit i did try turning off some off the other rads yesterday but this made no difference i will take some pictures today and post them tonight
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back