Cold water mains supply...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anybody help with advice please?

We recently had the Water Board out to test our cold water flow as a boiler seller blokies advised that it wasn't sufficient for a combi boiler, which I want to put in to lose the hot water tank to make space for a shower cubicle.

The test showed that it was fine outside at the main (44 or more) but wasn't enough after that, so then the conversation turned of course to upgrading the pipes etc, specifically from the mains stopcock in the street to the stopcock in our property, because in our 100+ year old property the mains pipes will be the original cast iron ones and therefore corroded inside and therefore narrower bore and that will be the reason for the 6 or less flow indoors (flow of 10+ required for combi boiler).

The Water Board man very magnanimously said "Don't get us to do it because we're expensive", so I'm thinking now that he is inferring that a plumber can do it and the Water Board only have to come along and find a loose connection for them to connect to the street main (and when they came they automatically replaced the stopcock in the street for a new one as a matter of standard policy)?

My question is when the new pipe comes into the house and connects to the existing stopcock, what about how does the cold water supply get round the house, to the outlets and the boiler and washer and cold water tank etc? Would there not be the same 100 year old pipes internally or is there something in relation to that, that as a plumbing ignoramus I am missing? Is upgrading from street main to indoor stopcock all that is required or is there potentially more to consider?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks - Simon.

Sponsored Links
for a combi boiler, which I want to put in to lose the hot water tank to make space for a shower cubicle.

Shower and combi is not good combination if there is more than one person in the house. You are in the shower, someone turns on a hot tap in the kitchen and the amount of hot water available to the shower reduces and the shower temperature reduces.

your internal pipework will not be cast iron. you want a builder/ ground worker to fit the water main and a plumber to replace/connect it up inside with a new stop tap. make sure its insulated if not 750mm down and inside the building.

Sponsored Links
So if the internal pipework won't be cast iron, it will be sufficient to renew the pipe between the outdoor stopcock at the street main and the indoor stopcock and this will improve the flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back