ballvalve change problem with water not shutting off!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's one for you all! Trying to replace ballvalve in cold water tank in loft - no service valve fitted, stopcock doesn't work, stopciock in street also not working.

Apart from having to call water board to replace external stopcock, is pipe freezing before the ballvalve the only other way ? Mains pressure is high here so not going to chance opening all other cold taps and doing ti wet!! Any other ideas please ............

Are there any self-boring stopcocks available??

Sponsored Links
Its still worth running the other cold taps full bore, just to see if the flow to the loft ceases.....failing that, buy a £10 freezing kit, freeze the pipe, install a full bore isolator and then replace the ball valve at your leisure.
Time for a little remedial work, stop cock wise!
John :)

The flow slows a little but still is very fast when other cold taps are open full bore. Are these freezing kits any good? I haven't used 1 before, and am not sure what to make of them.

I was thinking, if I freeze it, cut the pipe, have a push fit service valve (closed) ready incase it doesn't freeze properley, then sort the ballvalve. Also am thinking of adding a stopcock after the existing one, as the original one is lead pipe going in!!

The freezing kits work fine, so long as you follow the instructions and use the insulating jacket, etc. Patience needed! Under normal circumstances the pipe remains frozen for 20 min or so.
Personally I'd be using a quality compression isolator valve with handle, such as a Pegler full bore one, but thats just me.
Maybe your water authority are responsible for the street isolator? often they are just really tight but do free up after some persuasion....but its best to let the water board man do that!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Also if you're going to put an isolation valve on with water coming through always put it on open as the pressure will keep pushing it off, then close it as soon as it's on properly

Or call a plumber with a 'freeze master'.

I would charge you £150 including a new stopcock, isolation valve on your cold water tank with new float valve.

Happy Days.

OR as John suggests open all taps including the garden one and take apart the float valve and replace the half that is on the tank side. If things go wrong you won't flood the place.

Andy

I used a pipe freezing kit (arctic spray) and all was good. Had a push fit isolation valve ready just incase !!

Are those freemaster kits really good? What sort of jobs do they come in handy for and how much do they cost? Im guessing not for a diyer as more expensive?!!

Interesting - are they better than the disposable ones then? Obviously they are, but in what way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back