misbehaving water tanks in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm after a bit of advice please. I noticed the overflow pipe at roof level was dripping so I stuck my head into the crawlspace to investigate further after the nice chaps on the building board assured me my pipe lagging was not asbestos related. I have a cold water storage tank and an f+e tank up there and I can see 3 issues.

1)fe ballvalve needs replacing and is dripping so coming out of overflow
2)there is a load of brown and white crud on the join of the pipe going to the ballvalve on the outside of the cold water tank
3)ballvalve is dripping on the cold water tank. (replaced last year by me, am a novice bit has persuaded me to be more adventurous with diy)

On the fe ballvalve, can I replace it with a new fangled plastic one and are they low or high pressure? I just wanted whatever is easiset to fit in a confined space cos the one I did last year was a pig to do.

I've put a picture of the crud, what is it and how can I replace it? Need ballvalve or join etc

Finally I set the water level really low on yhencood water tank ball valve, is it possibly dripping because its set too low? If I lift it up a little it closes fine.

So many questions, thank you for reading and for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20191210_124253.jpg
    IMG_20191210_124253.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys! I'll have a trip out to screwfix tomorrow, overflow seems to be coping for the moment and I've got a tray under the dripping joint for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back