Cold water out of hot water tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have a mynute 20se condesning boiler with a Santon Premier TP 150b unvented tank.The only problem I have is with the water out of hot taps - the central heating etc is fine.

I have a problem with water coming out of the hot water taps, it seems that when I turn it on, it always tends to come out cold for a few seconds before turning to normal hot. It never used to be like this - this problem only started happening since last week.

For example, in the shower, when i turn it on cold water comes out for a few seconds, then goes to normal warm, if i turn it off mid way then on again, cold water comes out again for a few seconds then returns to normal. It seems like hot water is not remaining in the pipes?

I asked a friend, and they told me that this symtomn is normal(something to do with the expansion tank) however it shouldnt be happening reguarly as it is.

Any ideas?[/b]

Sponsored Links
There must be cold water creeping past a non return valve from cold to hot :idea: As I`m not Gas or Unvented certified , I can`t offer any more advice - I have been certified in other ways though :mrgreen:

I can't see the problem, it's normal to wait a few seconds for hot water to get to the taps. :confused:
The shower sounds ok too, if it's a thermostatic mixer you'd expect it to start off cold and adjust itself up to temperature.
Why would you want to turn it off halfway through and restart it anyway?

DOes this boiler have an ECO mode or a preheat function??? If it does, see if its been turned off.

Sponsored Links
....it isn't a combi

there may be a secondary circulation pump on the how water circuit from the unvented. that may have been turned off.

My bad, your right.

QAs above, check secondary circulating pump is one (and working!!!)

Hi all,

As far as im aware, nothing has been changed/switched off...How do i check the secondary ciculating pump? Heres some pics of the tank upstairs that I have.

imag0238b.jpg

imag0240gh.jpg

imag0242yv.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Is the cold to the shower taken after the pressure reducing valve or before?

Can be an issue if the hot and cold feeds are not balanced

Messy work on the fittings :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back