Cold Water Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just changed all the taps in my bathroom, the basin ones and the two free standing taps on the bath for a mixer style with a shower head.

Before the tap replacement - I turned off the water supply (downstairs stop valve) and the tap down stairs went off, I then went into the loft and turned off three valves (two from the cold water storage tank and 1 feeding another smaller - header ? tank). Both taps downstairs now don't flow, hot in the bathroom doesn't but the cold upstairs took ages to drain the cold water tank - which drained and didn't refill.

After the tap replacement, I turned on all 4 valves. Downstairs hot and cold are running fine. Upstairs hot is running fine, cold at the start was non-existent. I left the cold water storage tank to refill, which it did, now the cold water tap runs quickly for a second, then really slowly until it almost stops. If I turn the cold water tap on, the toilet cistern stops filling, when I turn it off it starts again - very slowly. The bath mixer cold does the same, quick, slow, trickle, stop. How can I fix this and what do you think had happened?

Thank you for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Classic airlock.

Easy to sort out if it's a hot airlock, not so easy on the cold

try holding the palm of your hand over the bath tap spout and opening the hot and cold tap at he same time, the hot passing through the spout may clear the cold airlock

Sponsored Links
its the cold tap that's locked, not the hot, thanks for the quick replies though - what do I do for a cold?

bathstyle said:
try holding the palm of your hand over the bath tap spout and opening the hot and cold tap at he same time, the hot passing through the spout may clear the cold airlock

wont work if the cold is tank fed :idea:

connect the wmc valves together with one of the hoses and open both valves

should blow it out

dont do it for to long tho :idea:

Try what I have suggested, you will notice that the WC will start filling rapidly, wait for it to fill up, then wait some more, keep your hand under the spout the whole time- totally seal the spout off with your hand.

bathstyle said:

should blow it out

erm, what do you mean by wmc valves?

bathstyle said:

should blow it out

You don't necessarily need mains pressure to blow out the airlock, I have had success with this method, besides the OP has described a cold airlock, what you are suggesting is for a hot airlock

I would seriously try my method, it has proven to work.

I have also had success by holding a small piece of hose pipe onto the Cold storage cistern ballvalve spout and the other end down the offending tank connector- poked right inside there. Sounds ridiculous but does work

I have also had success by holding a small piece of hose pipe onto the Cold storage cistern ballvalve spout and the other end down the offending tank connector- poked right inside there. Sounds ridiculous but does work

this is true have done it myself ;)

Try what I have suggested, you will notice that the WC will start filling rapidly, wait for it to fill up, then wait some more, keep your hand under the spout the whole time- totally seal the spout off with your hand.

OK, I tried this about three or 4 times, the toilet did indeed start filling quicker, but once I let go the cold tap was still running very slowly. How long should I hold my hand there for?

its the cold tap that's locked, not the hot, thanks for the quick replies though - what do I do for a cold?

first ignore my last post :LOL: :LOL:

connect a hose from the cold main to the tank fed tap and same procedure

wet vac on the offending tap has been known to work as well

Do you mean a hosepipe from the downstairs cold tap to the upstairs cold tap? Then open both of them?

first ignore my last post :LOL: :LOL:

connect a hose from the cold main to the tank fed tap and same procedure

wet vac on the offending tap has been known to work as well

Do you mean a hosepipe from the downstairs cold tap to the upstairs cold tap? Then open both of them?

Yes, the mains pressure will clear the airlock, even from an outside tap if that's easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back