Cold water tank emptying

I would also try: turn off the water supply to the CWST, turn the mains back on and see what doesn't fill/work.

Andy

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Hi CBW, I'm right with you, but unfortunately that gate valve is fooked.

Have called someone about getting it replaced.

• Thanks
I would also try: turn off the water supply to the CWST, turn the mains back on and see what doesn't fill/work.

Andy
Hi Andy, thank you. Wouldn't the tank have to be fully empty first?

Sponsored Links
I would have the gate valve replaced with a lever ball valve, the valves are seldom used and when needed, gate valves are mostly inoperable.
Agreed! I always turn these things with a great deal of trepidation

You have a leak , probably on a hot water branch .fit a bung in the loft tanks outlet that feeds the hot water cylinder. See if loft tank water level stops falling .
As you can't see any visible signs of leakage it's highly likely the leaking pipe is buried in concrete.

Hi terryplumb,

Thanks for the message.

Yeah, it's looking like it. Just put the water back on and re-measured, looks like the tank lost roughly 39 litres over 7h 20mins.
If my maths is right, that's 5 litres an hour or 120 litres a day or 3720 litres a month. You'd expect to see that amount of water appearing somewhere, but there's literally no sign of it (except on the meter).

Funnily enough, the wife's put her ear to the taps in the downstairs toilet and could hear a noise. She's got better hearing than me, but there's a definite sound of moving water - like a cistern filling (even though none are). Guess that might narrow it down a bit further?

Out of interest, have you seen (or dealt with) many leaks in concrete?

Off to check the insurance now... And look for a reliable leak finding person/firm.

Cheers,

pmb

Lost count of the amount of times that I have seen copper pipes that have leaked buried in concrete.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back