Cold water tank noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the cold ater is being used up, it refills itself.

The tank is situated above a bedroom, and as such, when the water falls from the ball vavle into the water tank, it sounds like someone is taking a pee. Is there a way to dampen this noise. Some sort of silencing kit, or a hose etc.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the fill valve is the recommended type 2 one, you'll see the water is discharged via a plastic spout into the tank. Its possible to adjust the direction of these, which may help a bit. I guess its also possible to attatch some type of thin wall hose to the spout too, but this is probably strictly against regulations!
Try enclosing the tank and lid in an acoustic box made out of expanded polystyrene or similar.
John :)

thanks john.

I will need tyo check if it is plastic or not. I a pretty sure it is, but from memory it wasnt adjustable! But will check.

I think the noise is down to the height the water falls from the valve to the surface. I wonder if its worth increasing the height of the water?

Sponsored Links
If you drain off a substantial volume of water, then the water will always make a noise when it refills...
As far as I know, the kosher type 2 valves are made from brass, but actually any sort of float valve will work.
I think a good lagging of the tank will sort your problem and its probably the simplest way to go.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back