Cold water tank overflowing after shower/bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have just bought a new house and we have a cold water tank in the loft. Whenever we have a bath or a shower and use a significant amount of cold water the overflow from the tank starts pouring out water because the ball float does not seem to float properly. If I go into the attic and give it a tiny push it then happily starts floating and it stops filling up with water (so the overflow stops). I am debating whether to fix this myself or get a plumber (there is thankfully a valve by the water inlet allowing me to turn off the water to the tank locally and very easily).

From my limited knowledge I would assume that the valve/joint is clogged up and just gets stuck then a minor nudge dislodges it and it works again. On this basis i'm presuming I should replace the whole valve as the joint is clogged up but I wanted to check if there was anything else I should try before assuming the whole valve should be replaced?

From what I have read I should use a part 2 high pressure value (eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627) and a ball float (http://www.screwfix.com/p/round-ball-float/19902). Can you confirm that this is correct and what tools I would need to replace this (or if you think it's just better to get a qualified plumber to do it!)

Thanks so much,

Dave

Sponsored Links
New, or new to you? If really new then isn't it covered by a guarantee?

Hi rjm2k,

Sorry I should have been more specific, it's new to us but definitely not new, it's a Victorian terraced house that hasn't been updated in a while (although the central heating system was redone 5 - 8 years ago which is a lot newer than most other things here!)

Thanks very much,

Dave

Get a decent light on it. Turn off the incoming supply. See if you can take it to bits, clean it and fit a new washer.
It may even be an old brass one which would just need a polish.
Should be easy.

Sponsored Links
Get a decent light on it. Turn off the incoming supply. See if you can take it to bits, clean it and fit a new washer.
It may even be an old brass one which would just need a polish.
Should be easy.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response, it is indeed a brass one by the looks of it, what is the best thing to use to try cleaning/declogging it as this would obviously be the easiest solution? And what tools do i need to take it apart, just a couple of adjustable spanners?

Thanks so much,

Dave

There are a few possible brands, but probably a small screwdriver will enable you to flick out a piston from a cylinder. The piston may unscrew--into two parts to release the washer.
Careful use of mole grips may be needed if it is scaled-up or dirty.
Brass, metal, car, chrome cleaner, or bit of fine wire wool.
None of it is rocket science!
Oh the satisfaction and savings on plumbers, costs.

There are a few possible brands, but probably a small screwdriver will enable you to flick out a piston from a cylinder. The piston may unscrew--into two parts to release the washer.
Careful use of mole grips may be needed if it is scaled-up or dirty.
Brass, metal, car, chrome cleaner, or bit of fine wire wool.
None of it is rocket science!
Oh the satisfaction and savings on plumbers, costs.

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for your reply, I have actually got a friend of mine who is a plumber coming to stay later this week so I thought I would just wait and get him to do it for me, which makes it very easy for everyone (apart from him!!)

Thanks so much for your help,

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back