Water Butt Filling Question

If you install a ball valve, won't your water butt refill with mains every time you fill a watering can, thereby removing any capacity for rainwater? Also, you have to turn a tap on to draw water from your water butt so why not just go to the outside tap and fill there when the butt runs out? The effort is the same.

You'll need all sorts of backflow prevention measures if you really do want to put mains into your water butt, especially if you want to submerge the ball valve.

The tank feeds a irrigation system feed by a pump. No watering cans or the like will be filled from the tank, only the pump connected to the solenoid valves connected to the sprinklers. These are all controlled via an automatic timer and rain sensor. Hence the need for this to be automated so the pump does not run dry.

I am planning on installing the valve 3/4 of the way down the tank so there is still enough water to do a cycle of watering but plenty of room for the tank to be filled up by the rain. Hence the question about the ball float being submerged and the effect on the valve.

You should have a low level float switch installed to protect the pump
As for the float valve it can be installed at the top of the tank, you only req a one with an extended float arm
We use keraflo valves as they have a open/close differential in built but I'm talking commercial stuff here

Matt

Sponsored Links
Sorry for resurrecting this one from the dead, bad forum etiquette I know.

Simpic I am curious if you ever implemented this idea, if so which approach did you take and was it worth the effort?

I have been thinking along the same lines myself. The Keraflo option is on the pricey side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back