More on water butt mains filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Further to simpics thread (//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/water-butt-filling-question.361735/), I have been trying to come up with a cost effective way to have my water butt filled up by the mains as a backup to maintain a minimum water level.

My proposed solution involves a float which is buoyant enough to suspend a weight, and the weight needs to be heavy enough to open a valve when hanging freely.

On the attachment:

1. Water butt is full to the point of the overflow. Slack on chain connecting float to valve means valve remains closed in this state as weight is prevented from pulling on valve by float.

2. A few dry days and the water level decreases to a level where the float is suspended out of the water and no longer prevents the weight pulling on the valve, which it does, opening it and mains water begins to flow into the water butt.

3. The water level reaches the minimum level where float is now suspended and again creates slack on the chain as the weight is prevented from acting on the valve and the valve closes stopping the water flow.

So my question is, does such a valve exist? Could it stand the force of the mains pressure? And how cheap can I pick one up?

View media item 91143

Sponsored Links
You will likely fall foul of the water Regulations!

To sort of comply, the float valve would need to discharge about 150 mm ABOVE the over flow top of the water butt.

Although not strictly necessary, you would be advised to put a double non return valve in the supply to the valve.

In theory you could have a hollow float on a vertical shaft so it operates at a low level in the butt.

But it would need guides as you cannot put sideways forces on a standard float valve.

Tony

To sort of comply, the float valve would need to discharge about 150 mm ABOVE the over flow top of the water butt.

Although not strictly necessary, you would be advised to put a double non return valve in the supply to the valve.

In theory you could have a hollow float on a vertical shaft so it operates at a low level in the butt.

But it would need guides as you cannot put sideways forces on a standard float valve.

Tony

Tony

Thanks Tony.

Yes I am aware of the regulations, I don't think the 150 mm will be a problem.

Good call on the double non return valve.

I wasn't considering using a float valve, but the valve I need for my solution may not exist.

Sponsored Links

Or are you saying the valve needs to be 150 mm above the rim of the container?

The whole point of the WR is to prevent dirty butt water getting back into the mains should there be a loss of pressure.

So a flooded float valve low down, whilst the obvious solution, would not comply because the WR do not permit that. Even if you thought that a double non return valve would suffice!

Tony

The whole point of the WR is to prevent dirty butt water getting back into the mains should there be a loss of pressure.

So a flooded float valve low down, whilst the obvious solution, would not comply because the WR do not permit that. Even if you thought that a double non return valve would suffice!

Tony

OK. That is not the approach I was going to take. The valve would not be submerged at any time, that's what my design is looking to avoid.

Did you see the image I attached?

dirty butt water
:?: :mrgreen:

Tony, your sari fetishism is reaching all new levels :LOL:

150mm above the flood level? . Are you sure?

Op, why not just use a hose? . Or are you just trying to find a sneaky way past a potential hose pipe ban?

dirty butt water
:?: :mrgreen:
Op, why not just use a hose? . Or are you just trying to find a sneaky way past a potential hose pipe ban?

I want to create an automated irrigation system fed by the water butt.

I need to ensure there is a minimum level of water to prevent the pump running dry and that may plants get watered even when there has not been rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back