Toilet fill valves dripping. Tried 3 different ones!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the likely reason 3 different brand replacement toilet fill valves arms all won't stop slowly dripping? They are the ball float type on a high level cistern.

I've tried the water level at different settings. I'm getting a bit bored of getting up on the ladder and fiddling with them now.

All I can think is the water pressure is too high? If I pull the arm up a little bit more it stops. I've tried closing the isolation valve some.

Googling just says replace washer but these are all entirely new fill valves.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Some ball cock valves have a reversible nozzle ( or two separate nozzles ) that the washer presses against to shut the water off. For high pressure supply the smaller nozzle has to face the washer, for low pressure the larger nozzle should face the washer.

I don't think the ball is getting caught. I have kept an eye on it to make sure its not hitting the sides.

It's dripping very slowly after filling. Not fast enough to over flow. I guess it would happen eventually though.

The whole situation is made worse by the fact the cistern is about 2 inches off the ceiling so I have to use a camera to even see whats going on :)

The first plastic type I tried had two nozzles for pressure. I tried both and put it back on the high pressure smaller nozzle one but still no luck.

The new valve I'm using is all brass with a solid arm. It's really odd I get the exact same issue. It just drives me nuts hearing that slow drip all the time. It mightve always happened on the old parts but I may not have heard as that one had a plastic tube to make the fill quiet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if I've just been unlucky or if there is something going on here stopping the valves closing completely.

Sponsored Links
Is it a flush valve or syphon in the cistern?

"Viva Skylo Dual Flush Syphon". That's also new as I was fixing an external leak on the inlet so just replaced the lot as its cheap enough. I wouldve went for one of those more modern arm-less fill valves were it not for the siphon being in the way.

Last edited:
"Viva Skylo Dual Flush Syphon"

Just wondering if the water is leaking slowly in to the syphon which will need a constant drip to refill. Perhaps close the iso valve at night to check if so and how low the water level is in the morning.

Just wondering if the water is leaking slowly in to the syphon which will need a constant drip to refill

That is very likely if there is nothing coming out of the cistern's overflow when the valve is continuously dripping water into the cistern.

Cheers I'll try that tonight. I did wonder if it could be sensitive enough to be losing a tiny amount somewhere and constantly drip refilling. Didn't think it was that accurate but definitely worth a try.

I've put some coloured cleaning fluid in to see if it appears anywhere. Is the thinking here that the water is going into the syphon but not out into the toilet or leaking externally? Should I be replacing the brand new syphon? Or sealing it better somehow?

I tightened the flange at the bottom of the cistern a bit. Either that has helped or the fact that I poured 3 very small bottle lids of fluid in was enough to stop the drip. If it does this again when I flush, it's as if the water level doesnt quite get high enough to close the valve. Reading what I'm saying here that would suggest a loss of water somewhere I guess. Or very unlucky on 3 different new fill valves?

It still drips after a flush and filling. Pouring another 100ml of water in shuts the valve off. No dripping. I'm waiting to see if it starts again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back