Ideal Standard toilet water trickling into pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently our toilet started overflowing into the pan once the cistern has filled.

We have a Conceala 2 cistern with a univalve / whisperflo refill unit.

I tried replacing the diaphragm with a generic plumb sure diaphragm washer for quiet fill valves but that has not made a difference. The replacement diaphragm washer is not the same as the Ideal Standard washer already fitted, it is missing the rubber lip that sits within the cap.

Is this critical and should I get an Ideal Standard replacement diaphragm?

If not, what else could be the problem?

The water level continues to rise in the cistern once filled until the overflow allows water to trickle into the pan. The water pressure appears to be pushing through the filter / diaphragm and the float arm / float does not make a difference; the water level continues to rise slowly once it has filled after flushing.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
That's the problem with generic stuff, not always suitable for the job it's suggested for. :rolleyes:

Don't mention generic. I did, but I think I got away with it!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what part is the float valve? I can take everything off up to the diaphragm / filter but after that it's the inlet pipe.

I think I'll be contacting a local plumber for assistance but could you give me an indication of potential labour / part(s) cost so I know what to expect?

A picture is as good as a thousand words. Hint. ;)

The float valve is the inlet valve. Or, in your words 'refill unit'.

This was a photo I took showing where the diaphragm sits, with the whisperflo unit taken off. To the left is the inlet valve with the flush cable attached to the top.

Does this show enough?

To the bottom left is the outlet valve, better known as the flush valve. It lets water out of the cistern.
As I said, the valve you are talking about is called the inlet valve because it lets water in to the cistern.

Does the water come from a pipe entering the cistern from the bottom?

I'd replace it with something like a Fluidmaster.

Thanks Charnwood.

The water does come from a pipe at the bottom of the cistern. It's the end of the pipe that you can see disappearing to the back in the picture. Is it this that needs replacing then?

And not the white cylindrical unit with the push button cable attached to the top?

The cistern is quite small and compact, what from this list would I need?

http://search.diy.com/search#w=Fluidmaster

Thanks

Is it this that needs replacing then?
And not the white cylindrical unit with the push button cable attached to the top?
If water is coming in to the cistern via the Whisperflow inlet valve which is not closing fully, and then water is overflowing via the integral overflow in the outlet valve, then the answer is no.

If you are unable to get the correct washer for your inlet valve, then a new inlet valve is what is required. You'll need one of the following Fluidmaster valves:

400UK073 which will be available from the likes of B&Q, Screwfix etc
PRO400UK which should be available from your local merchant
PRO45B local merchant again

You might need to check it will fit, if your cistern is compact.

It's the same valve, just differing levels of quality, allegedly.
the first 2 have a plastic shank, the last has a brass shank.

Hello,

I ended up getting a replacement inlet valve for the end of the inlet pipe. This has fixed the problem. Part was:

SV80367

Thanks for everyones help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back