Cold water tank valve recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've seen a number of threads on this subject but I'm still a little confused about what to do in our specific situation. We've lived in our house for a year or so, and we've noticed that after using water you can hear the hissing of flow back to the cold water tank for quite a while afterwards. Up until last night, we'd never really thought much of it.

Last night we happened to do a lot of washing up, run the dishwasher, have a shower and run a bath all in relatively quick succession. Half way through running the bath, the water stopped. A quick trip up into the loft revealed that the tank was nearly empty, and was refilling at a slow trickle. I guess it would have taken several hours for it to refill; at any rate, by this morning it had finished and we have water again.

Is this normal? I'd like to replace the valve with something that fills faster if possible, but obviously I don't want to create a new set of problems with water hammer/noise. We already get a hissing sound in the bedroom that the pipes run through as it refills, and I guess this unavoidable to some degree; am I going to make it worse by having a valve that fills faster? I guess that the flow of water into the tank will also be louder. Our toilet cistern has a little pipe that comes down from the inlet valve to lower down the cistern to muffle the filling noise - can you get something equivalent for a cold water tank?

This is our current valve:
View media item 59098
Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
You need a part 2 brass float valve...

and to clean out your cold water storage and put a proper lid on it!!

You need a part 2 brass float valve...

Like this ? That looks a lot like what we have already - is there some specific type that I should be looking for that will ensure I get a good flow? Or is the resemblance to what we have already just superficial?

and to clean out your cold water storage and put a proper lid on it!!

Yes, I thought that :eek: when I took the lid off. It's one of those polystyrene covered in black plastic jobs, but the polystyrene is cracked and it doesn't fit properly. I think maybe the nice people who fitted our loft insulation may have had their way with it!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back