noisy filling of cold water tank and cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read numerous posts on this forum from people who complain of noisy wc cisterns and cold water supply tanks in lofts when they are filling. When asked by the person replying what the noise sounds like the replies are generally the same, that is it sounds like water flowing through the pipes. I have noisy cisterns and a cold water supply tank that is very noisy on filling. I would however describe the noise as a 'pressure' noise. I don't know if that would be an accurate description though. I can't actually hear the water running into the tank but the noise is so loud that if the shower is on upstairs then the tv has to turned up a bit in the lounge, and if the bathroom loo is flushed, which sits over one corner of the lounge, then it is very hard to hear the tv, if watching a recording then it has to be paused until the cistern is filled.
I have seen Fluidmaster fill valves recommended, would they help to damp down this 'pressure' filling noise? The fill valve in the cold water tank was renewed a couple of years ago and the noise does seem worse since then.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back