Noisy cistern re-fill pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Daughter's loo is above our lounge and the noise of the cistern re-filling is appalling - the noise seems to be the water coursing along the pipework which must be lying in the cavity between lounge ceiling and bedroom floor.

Any ideas as to how / what to change to alleviate? It's clear to me that the noise would be simply unacceptable in a newly built house, so there's obviously a way of fitting the pipework so that this doesn't happen.

Cheers,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Its water hammer. First thing to do is change the ballvalve.
After that you are looking to eliminate unclipped and loose sections of pipe and sharp unsupported bends.

If the ballvalve is a bottom inlet then ensure the support for the upper part of the valve is adjusted so that it is against the cistern wall. [Its an adjustable bar with a locknut]

Doesn't that depend if its a banging noise or just a flow noise?

Could you confirm what the "noise" is please?

BoxBasher said:
Doesn't that depend if its a banging noise or just a flow noise?

Whether its banging or a high pitched noise its still down to resonance in the pipework. I did read the post a bit quickly so I take your point.
Anyway somewhere between the hertz and kilohertz of the resonance is the bit that 'hertz' your ears.
At the high pitched end of water hammer the cures are: to remove restrictions such as partly closed valves and undersized pipes also replacing pipe with plastic leaves nothing to resonate.

Sponsored Links
A new float valve (especially a Torbeck) is usually quieter than an old one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back