cold water tank..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am new to this website and i hope i am not asking a stupid question.... However, I live in a converted flat on the first floor and am trying to locate a tap to switch off the water to the cold water tank in the loft. The tank is overflowing and i need to change the washer. I have looked everywhere and can't find it. There must be one? There is a tap at the back of the tank but that cuts off the water to the bathroom and toilet. If i switch off the mains to the kitchen water it does nothing to the cold water tank. Where else could it be?
Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks
Bash

Sponsored Links
under the sink? in the little cupboard outside, in next doors flat, why not pop to next flat and ask where theirs is

so you have three different stopcocks(taps) to turn off cold water in your flat? I only have one and that turns off the cold water completely

one of them valves is not a main supply valve its a tank valve.

Its not unusual in my area to have two rising mains to a house, quite often one of them isn't metered and water board have no knowledge of its existence.

Bash are you on a water meter if yes turn it off from there.

as breezer said try next door, if you havn't got a stop valve then you are going to have to freeze it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your tips... This is where I am at the moment.

1. Found Tap behind washing machine - cuts off water to the Kitchen tap
2. Found Tap behind cold water tank in the loft -cuts off water to bathroom and toilet
3. Found a red wheel like tap in the airing cupboard - cuts off hot water.
4.However, I have found a tap ( in a cupboard) underneath the sink in the bathroom. This appears to do nothing!!!??
5. I have spoken to my neighbour beneath me who tells me that when she had a new bathroom and kitchen done she arranged for the water to come from the mains to make life simpler. She can't help me beyond that.

BTW, How do i freeze the water and then unfreeze? It sounds an interesting approach.

Besides trying to learn about plumbing , I really want to avoid paying out for a plumber!

Turn off number 1 go to the tank in the loft and push the ballcock down into the water to make sure it is isolated...as long as nothing comes out change your washer. May be worth considering changing the whole valve though they don't cost much and it's easier than stripping it down to change the washer.

Thanks..but i tried turning off at number 1 ( i.e. the mains to the kitchen) but it has no effect on the mains to the tank in the loft! This is very strange i know. Could it be something to do with the fact it is a conversion flat and the tank used to feed the downstairs but doesn't now?

How about turning the water off via the stopcock outside your house if your neighbour doesnt mind.

bash_8 said:
Could it be something to do with the fact it is a conversion flat and the tank used to feed the downstairs but doesn't now?

That's quite possible. When I first moved into my flat I couldn't find the Elec. meter? When I got the first bill it was horrendous; it turned out that downstairs had the meter (for both of us) yet it was in my name so got the bill? Strange that. :rolleyes:
I refused to pay anything until the company seperated the supply and installed a seperate meter in my flat.
I wonder how long the previous tennant had been paying downstairs bill for them.
Anyway, back on track - It's quite likely there is only one main shutoff and that it's in your neighbours. I would insist the Water Board come and put in a seperate shutoff for you. What happens if you go on Hols and your tank leaks? How's your neighbour going to shut you off without losing their supply?

It's quite likely there is only one main shutoff and that it's in your neighbours. I would insist the Water Board come and put in a seperate shutoff for you. What happens if you go on Hols and your tank leaks? How's your neighbour going to shut you off without losing their supply?

Studders thanks for your response. Are you suggesting the water board will do this for me for free?

bash_8 said:
Studders thanks for your response. Are you suggesting the water board will do this for me for free?

I'm not sure to be honest, probably they would if you 'bugged' them enough about it. Don't expect them to hurry though, I reported a substantial leak to them once - it took them about 6 weeks to do anything about it. :rolleyes:
Failing that why not get a plumber in to do it? Shouldn't cost that much I'd have thought.

On a slightly different matter...my neighbour downstairs tells me that she has arranged for all her water to come directly from the mains i.e. she doesn't have a cold water tank - including her toilet and bathroom water.Is that allowed? Or has she been allowed it because she wouldn't have easy access to the loft?In fact, can i get rid of my cold water tank ?

how does she get her hot water combi or pressurised system.

yes you can have all your cold water from mains supply.

but unless she has some kind of pressurised system she will need a cold tank to supply the hot water cylinder. this can be in the form of a combined hot and cold cylinder (fortec) type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back