Cold water venting when heating on - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Would be grateful for any ideas on the following:-

I have an oil fired Rayburn 480 that runs my CH and HW. It was installed in 2009. The issue I seem to have is that cold water is flowing out of the overflow pipe when the heating is on. The system is connected to 11 rads, 9 of which operate at full heat, the final two (located at the end of the CH pipe run) barely get above tepid. These have been bled.

If I leave the CH on constant, they eventually heat up.

The cold water flowing is a mystery, both the header tanks in the loft are not overflowing, and no water enters the smaller tank from the inverse 'U' pipe (Sorry, I'm not technical!)

I've replaced both the CH pump and the Danfloss HSA3 valve neither of which has made a difference.

This has only been happening in the last year, before, it all worked fine.

Any help or suggestions welcome!

Many thanks!

Robert.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried turning all the other rads off to see if the problem ones heat up? have you checked you float valve(s)? What is the water level in your feed and expansion tank when cold? Do you know which tank is over flowing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back