Hot water venting into Cold Tank

Thanks Mick I will trace the pipes back.

Sorry to ask the obvious question but where would be the normal place for the cylinder vent pipe to originate from on its way up to the cold tank, and the same question for the heating vent pipe on its way to the F&E tank.

The area you have circled on the photo, which vent would this be.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Mick

It would appear that the hot water cylinder vent goes to the F&E tank and the Vent from the Heating goes to the cold water tank!

The system has been like this since we moved in 7 years ago.

I guess I should re-route both vents to the correct tanks?

the vent from the cylinder would originate at top of cyl

vent from boiler would come from the "ringed" blockage area - the 22mm pipe (larger one)

yes, re-route them to the correct tank in loft and they should rise 450mm above the tank before dropping down and terminating just in the tank above the water level

Many thanks for that, I will get straight on to re-routing the pipes.

Any solutions for clearing the blockage that is sending the central heating water up the vent.
I have run a sludge cleaner through the system and flushed it through.
I have now put in an inhibitor

By that ring of pipes (where the water is being vented) there is a drain valve.
I have connected a hose to this to see if anything came out (sludge or the cause of the blockage) but it stayed 'dry'

Could you hose mains water into the drain valve to try and clear the blockage or would that screw-up the system. My apologies if this is a stupid idea :oops:

Sponsored Links
cut out the pipes and clean or renew would be better

they should rise 450mm above the tank before dropping down and terminating just in the tank above the water level
Just above the water level is OK for the HW vent terminating above the cold water tank. But shouldn't the CH vent terminate just below the top of the F/E tank? If it was just above the water level, it would go below the water level when the water expanded on heating up and water could get sucked up the vent pipe.

D H. it all depends on one's perception of just.

but yes I do agree

at least we're thinking on the same lines. even if we cant say exactly what we mean :eek:

Thanks everyone for your help, its excellent that people take the time to offer such constructive help.
Cheers
Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back