COLD WEATHER AND DIESEL ENGINES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the W registration peaugot 206 have starting problems in cold weathers. It's a diesel engine, so does that have something to do with it?

Sponsored Links
Well,yes and no. If your diesel is correctly maintained,regular oil and filter changes,air and fuel filter clean,then it should start ok in all weathers.
In the cold weather though,anything not quite up to scratch can effect initial start up which may not be noticed when it's warmer.
Check things like battery and alternator belt,if battery is a bit low due to loose belt or just a ageing battery,starting becomes difficult.
If these are ok,then heater plugs not all working is probably favourite.These small diesels will often start ok with heat in only two cylinders during warm conditions,but will not have it when colder.

As said, diesels require more battery amps to start, as they use glow plugs rather than a spark to ignite the fuel.

Also, diesel oil is thicker than petrol oil, which doesn't help. The cold whether has a reduction is battery output.

In short, get your battery checked out first. Halfords or any local garage will be able to do a 5 minute load check, and tell you the condition of the battery and the charging system.

Sponsored Links
Ash-GT said:
As said, diesels require more battery amps to start, as they use glow plugs rather than a spark to ignite the fuel.

diesels dont run on glow plugs,they are there to warm the engine to aid cold starting

I have had problems starting mine lately too, I found the solution though. Turn ignition on, wait for glow plugs to time out, turn ignition off and repeat twice! Then its nice and warm and mine will start! If I dont do this, the starter turns over twice and stops dead, sounds dreadful, like its stalled. Perhaps spark123 could run this through his software for me :LOL:

(Note the above only applies in very cold weather) Other keen forum members will remember my glow plug light doesnt work. The way I tell when the plugs finish is by listening for the fan noise increasing slightly with a click from the engine :LOL:

Back