diesel motoring in cold weather

Some plugs are avctivated ( late golf?) the second you open your door, so by the time you sit in, belt on, you can turn the key and away you go as it's took 10-15 seconds to get to that stage, so you may be unaware of this stage happening

Sponsored Links
Hi Libby Lou Lou,Thanks for that info,as I said to davieboy,you cannot keep up with all the advances.They come thick and fast,but we can help each other out an awful lot within this forum.Merry Christmas.

yes2mud said:
Eddie M,don't know if you are taking mick or not here.Someone with 3340 posts has been around a bit and should know really.
Anyway,if your a petrol man and diesels are a mystery,glowplugs,aka,heater plugs,come on with the ignition and warm the air up in the cylinder or pre combution chamber to aid starting and reduce emissions.You put the ignition on and relax for a few seconds while the heater lamp is on,then when it goes out you crank her over and start up.

I was a bit, it's just my diesel, there is no waiting around, works exactly the same as a petrol car, no waiting at all. Yes I do know what a glow plug is :D

libby lou lou said:
Some plugs are avctivated ( late golf?) the second you open your door, so by the time you sit in, belt on, you can turn the key and away you go as it's took 10-15 seconds to get to that stage, so you may be unaware of this stage happening
What if i'm merely opening the door to get something out that i forgot earlier? Just cos i open the door, doesn't mean i'm going to want to start the engine. I could be cleaning the car. I dont know if i like the sound of it to be honest. Would flatten the battery if i take a long time cleaning it. :confused:

I think we'd all be helped here, if i had the fecking owner's manual! However, the dealer never forwarded it to me, like they said. Surely they would keep it with the service book, which i was given.

Would Item number: 260066728866 on www.ebay.co.uk be appropriate?
Or Item number: 250062993917

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I'm not 100%, but it may be when the locking mechanism is used, key/remote, if your going in the car to your fags only, then its only a 10/15 second setting, so i dought it causes to many problems

yes2mud said:
Eddie ,heater plugs,come on with the ignition and warm the air up in the cylinder or pre combution chamber to aid starting and reduce emissions.You put the ignition on and relax for a few seconds while the heater lamp is on,then when it goes out you crank her over and start up.

yeah, i remember them. didn't noah use them in his arc. :eek:

noseall said:
yes2mud said:
Eddie ,heater plugs,come on with the ignition and warm the air up in the cylinder or pre combution chamber to aid starting and reduce emissions.You put the ignition on and relax for a few seconds while the heater lamp is on,then when it goes out you crank her over and start up.

yeah, i remember them. didn't noah use them in his arc. :eek:

Yes, and Henry used them in his Fords.

And the word above thats been filtered - its not the bad F word, its the "father ted" f word. I wouldn't dream of using the BAD f word on xmas day! :LOL:

Back