Replacing fuel filter job cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Skoda Ocatavia 2003, 1.9L Diesel.

Hi, car (above) wouldn't start yesterday, was turning over but not catching, so called RAC.
The RAC man thought it was glow plugs, but after he couldn't start it using 'Aero-start' he said it would have to be towed to a local garage (from my drive where it was).
The garage diagnosed a clogged fuel filter and replaced this along with cleaning out the throttle body/EGR valve.
This job took them 3hrs 40mins and cost £296.
I'm just trying to ascertain whether this is a reasonable cost/time for this job, so I know whether the garage are trustable with future custom or not.
Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Sponsored Links
The fuel filter is £20 genuine, and fitting is 20 minutes.
The EGR cleaning is a bit of a pig, awkward to get to and filthy. Garage time up here is around £50 per hour + vat at an independent place - quite a bit more at a VAG dealership.
John :)

Depends if they actually cleaned the EGR filter or just sprayed some cleaner in there and called it cleaned.
Had my filter replaced in a volvo and was charged £30 including the filter [mobile mechanic].

Sponsored Links
Replacing fuel filter is a straight forward job - usually done as part of a routine service. It should be very reasonable for your car model in terms of parts and labour.
You should consider querying this bill and get a break down of how much was charged for each part of the job.
Find out what they charged for the throttle body/EGR valve specifically and what exactly they did as Foxhole said above.
It sounds like a very high price for a skoda

I've only fitted a new EGR to the 1.4 motor - or at least I think it was a 1.4 - the EGR was over the ton (Dealer part) and the old one was totally gunged in carbon and other grot.
John :)

Almost four hours labour seems excessive. Cleaning the EGR valve entails undoing hose clips, squirting some cleaner in and maybe scrubbing inside the unit with an old toothbrush as well. At the most taking out the EGR valve unit and soaking in some carb cleaner.

A brand new EGR valve for your model of car is only fifty quid off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2318...=1006674&device=c&campaignid=698615505&crdt=0

The fuel filter is less than eight quid off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Fu....9+TDI&hash=item51eb4a94a4:g:e3kAAOSw8w1X2ScO

Three hundred nicker for cleaning the EGR valve and fitting a new fuel filter is ridiculous. The garage owner probably rang his missus that day to tell her to get steak for tea.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Like Spanner has said already get yourself back down there, ask to see the engine driver and not one of his rags and demand a full explanation of all works carried in writing.

If they play 'Let's take the Pi55' I'd be contacting your local Trading Standards office.

Best wishes.

Sponsored Links
Back