Diesel Peugeot 407 not starting only in mornings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a peugeot 407 sw 2.0 hdi estate the problem is,
When I leave overnight car will turn over start for few seconds,then stop if I try start again will not start ,unless I use easy start.
Then will start all day until I leave overnight same thing every morning .

Have had glow plugs changed new fuel filter oil filter and air filter still same thing happening been in 2 different garages one saying fuel pump return valve gone other saying injectors both costing around £400 so don't know what to do any peugeot people ot there as tried booking in my dealer going to take week to get it in it is on a 06 plate thanks brian

Sponsored Links
Do you know what fault codes were discovered?

Sounds more like fuel pump than injectors.

+1 for the fuel pump.
Doesn't the hdi have a priming bulb, so that the fuel can be present for a cold start? I know there's a one way valve in that - has to be - but haven't a clue about one in the pump.
John :)

Hi picked up today from garage he says air getting into fuel line he showed me clear pipe going into engine loads little bubbles but after fuel filter black pump thing he said soft should really be hard so will have to see if starts in morning thanks for replies he mentioned fuel filter valve again so he ordering that lets hope brian

Sponsored Links
In the morning, try squeezing the primer bulb until you feel resistance, and then trying for a start up.

Hi will try that in morning but what could could be problem as only does it in morning,after it starts will start every time straight away just the morning won't thanks for feedback appreciated brian

It's not unknown Brian for fuel to slowly return back to the tank when the car is standing for a long period......using the priming bulb simply pumps the juice back up to the engine again. It's worth a try!
Some people find the same effect parking the car downhill.

Hi quick update pressed that black pump thing this morning it was quiet soft so pumped it seen fuel going around with air bubbles in it so once I couldn't pump anymore put key in turned started straight away, but why it doing this as never done before how is fuel retuning to tank do I need fuel filter housing with non return valve thanks brian

Well at least we seem to be on the right track......fuel is returning back to the tank overnight by gravity, so your priming bulb is simply pushing it back again.
This happens really slowly, hence the car is good for the rest of the day.
I'm not able to say if the fuel filter housing ( plastic thing on the front of the engine block) has a non return valve or not.....personally I would think it has and I'd consider replacing that.
How about a chat with the service manager at your local dealership just to hear what they say?

You could also try having an ask on the Peugeot Forums and see if anyone there can shed any light. There may be a known issue.

Nothing else to add really apart from that I've been told by several diesel fitters over the years not to use Easy Start. Can damage the injectors apparently due to pre-ignition. Which I know is all very well until you're stuck.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Is there a low pressure pump in the fuel tank which primes the system prior to the high pressure pump supplying the common rail. This is usually with the sender unit on top of the fuel tank. Access to this can be under the rear seat cushion with possibly a further plate between it and the body of the vehicle. If this pump has failed, have you noticed a noise before this situation arose when you first selected the accessory position on ignition prior to actual starting and this noise is no longer present then it could indicate pump u/s. Plenty on ebay

Its probably pulling air in either through the priming bulb itself or the fuel filter housing, maybe worth you putting an oe quality filter in with new seals first to try and eliminate something.

To work the hand pump mush have a non return valve.

Either this is leaking or air is getting in to the flue line BEFORE the hand pump.

Probably at the junction with the hand pump!

Have you looked and felt it yourself?

Actually had exactly this fault with my earlier 406 but don't remember exactly what it was but a pipe joint under the bonnet before the hand pump.

I have the 1.6 HDI version of the 407 SW and might have a look when I have a moment.

What year is yours and do you have alloy wheels? If alloys what tyre numbers does yours have?

Tony

My Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 HDi has recently started having the same problem! And it is just a morning thing! I eventually got it going this morning by squeezing the black fuel pump thingy but it took a few attempts to get going. I've had the car in two garages and neither garage can find the fault. Can anyone help further?

Your fuel is draining back, same as above poster. You just need to find out why.

Sponsored Links
Back