Oil For Diesels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if it is better to buy oil that is specifically for diesels, or multi purpose diesel and petrol oil is OK. My Fiat Scudo 2.0 Jtd van uses 10w 40 and I normally use Mobil Super S Turbo Diesel, semi synthetic.

However, Stax had a promotion on Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 semi, which is what I have bought and used on a recent oil change.

On the can, it says that the Magnatec is for petrols and diesels. So, is it better to use oil that is only for diesels, or is multi purpose OK? Does it make any difference?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oils are significantly different to what they used to be, and are less specific to diesel or petrol engines.
The viscosity requirements are important, as is the oil specification - especially if your vehicle has a DPF fitted.
Your manual should specify if a fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil is needed - 10-40 is often a semi synthetic, whereas a 5-30 is usually fully synth.
I think your oil choice is fine, but do adhere to the oil change intervals, and reducing them does no harm.
Just for interest, A3 or A4 is top notch for petrols and B3 or B4 for diesels but of course there are other classifications.
A motor factor, when given the reg number, can give you the correct oil, but any doubt it's Millers Trident!
John :)

Thanks for your reply, John. Yes, I change my oil and filter every 4.5K miles. Best investment you can make for a vehicle - oil is cheap, engines are expensive. For cars I always have old Vauxhalls, and even on old engines, regular oil and filter changes can keep them running sweetly. People often make the mistake of getting an old, cheap car and quickly killing it through neglecting lubrication and antifreeze.

My van doesn't have a DPF, luckily, so I will carry on what I'm doing. Never heard of Millers Trident. Any reason why you recommend this oil in particular? Do any of the big chains stock it? A quick Google shows that Opie stock it.

If I'm ever stuck for the correct oil needed, a twirl onto the Millers oils website usually brings up what's required and the Trident range seems to be recommended for almost every application.
That includes the special oil needed by VAG's Pumpe Deuse motors - which is one of the highest spec around. Its also handy that my local factors can get it pretty swiftly!
I've also found the Millers transmission oil to be particularly good too - gear selection is definitely sweeter (at least until I've forgotten about it!)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just wondering if it is better to buy oil that is specifically for diesels, or multi purpose diesel and petrol oil is OK. My Fiat Scudo 2.0 Jtd van uses 10w 40 and I normally use Mobil Super S Turbo Diesel, semi synthetic.

However, Stax had a promotion on Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 semi, which is what I have bought and used on a recent oil change.

On the can, it says that the Magnatec is for petrols and diesels. So, is it better to use oil that is only for diesels, or is multi purpose OK? Does it make any difference?
You really need to look at the "ACEA" specification in the handbook (e.g. "C2") or the "API" specification (e.g. "SM/CF") and stick with that. As has been said, petrol and diesel oils aren't much different these days (although I think it's also a case of petrol and diesel ENGINES having got mroe similar too). Some manufacturers have their own specifications depending on the age of the vehicle. it's quite common now for oils to be manufacturer-specific (e.g. FIAT 9.55535-S1). Usually the Eurocarparts website is good for that. Just put your registration in. Opie Oils is another good source.

I've never really seen the point of more frequent oil changes than necessary. Yes, undoubtedly better for the engine, but I've only ever serviced mine in accordance with the published schedules and have never had a problem with engine longevity. Scrapped my last car when the bottom rotted out of it at 20-odd years old and a quarter of a million miiles. Engine was still fine!

Back