Colour marking cables.

Should red, yellow, blue cable be sleeved in a mixed standard single phase installation

• Red should be sleeved brown

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Blue should be sleeved black

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Leave red unsleeved as Line and blue unsleeved as Neutral

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been sent an EICR with a view to doing the work, most of it is things like earthing metal accessories, damage etc.
There has been significant rewiring with harmonised T&E
However there are 5 SWA's in the CU described as requiring colour identification.
One is 2 core red and black, the other 4 (believed to be 16,10 & 6mm²) are red, yellow, blue and the yellow's have green sleeve.

Sponsored Links
Since when was red for line (phase) with a blue neutral acceptable for wiring colours?
As it happens 8th & 9th editions 1924 to 1934 but that presumably isn't the question...
Using 3core SWA the most popular colours 11th to 15th editions 1943 to 2001would have been red, white or yellow & blue so the most obvious use for a single phase circuit is just as you question.
In which case red and blue are valid colours for Line and Neutral in an installation bearing a sticker indicating 2 colour standards.

Last edited:
As it happens 8th & 9th editions 1924 to 1934 but that presumably isn't the question...
Using 3core SWA the most popular colours 11th to 15th editions 1943 to 2001would have been red, white or yellow & blue so the most obvious use for a single phase circuit is just as you question.
That's because two core SWA was intended for single phase use.

Sponsored Links
That doesn't make sense as a reply to your quote.
Yes it does. Three core SWA is in phase colours because it wasn't designed for single phase use. So the colours aren't relevant to your argument. They need correctly marked, which can never be red for phase with blue for neutral.

Now surrender and accept defeat.

Yes it does. Three core SWA is in phase colours because it wasn't designed for single phase use. So the colours aren't relevant to your argument. They need correctly marked, which can never be red for phase with blue for neutral.

Now surrender and accept defeat.
Yes I know they are 3ph colours but as most people will say that's what you get when you order 3 core cable.
Please read the poll. My question is do we mark with brown to harmonised colours or black to the edition when it was installed, the fact that both live cores conform with one standard or the other complicates the issue.

As it happens the third option of leave as is was an afterthought, however I find it interesting that after 3 hours and 60 views the only vote cast is for that afterthought option.

As long as earth is identified, the rest have nothing to do with an EICR other than an observation. Table 51 does give the colours for new cables, but each edition of BS 7671 gives the design date at which it comes into effect, so as long as correct at time of design, it still passes for an EICR.

When code 4 was dropped there was a big thing made about the EICR being written in a way Joe public can understand, and it looks for danger and potential danger not compliance with BS 7671.

It does raise issues however, does fitting electronic lighting mean type AC RCD's are not permitted? With TN supplies no, as the RCD is secondary protection, not so sure with TT.

But phase and neutral are both live, so in both cases they should not be exposed, I have spent hours with cable markers numbering cables so to make maintenance easy, it does not say anything in BS 7671, but 31 has always been considered as chassis, and 30 live, so would avoid using 31, in the same way in the British system black was chassis, but in the German system black was live. British Brown was unfused permanent live, Purple fused permanent live, White ignition unfused live, Green ignition fused live until the demise of Lucas, but nothing has been done to get rid of the old British system, it would be near impossible. Be it motor vehicle or 230 volt to earth, we have had it mixed together for years in caravans, and motor homes, and since BS 7671:2008 the regulations have given the pin uses for 7 and 13 pin plugs, the pin 2 of the 7 pin plug has changed though the years, so I always fuse pin 2, it has been air/vac warning, inertia lights, and fog lights.

But I am leaving the subject of cable colours, the use of tracers was common with motor vehicle, but with 230 volt it has always been cable numbers, white, purple, orange, often used for control cables, often 110 volt, but there is very little laid down as to what colour should be used, the only colour which has been set out as special is Green-and-yellow and Cream.

It seems likely the Green sleeve needs changing to Green-and-yellow, but as for rest the sticker "
CAUTION
This installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS 7671.
Great care should be taken before undertaking extension,
alteration or repair that all conductors are correctly identified." should be enough.

As it happens the third option of leave as is was an afterthought, however I find it interesting that after 3 hours and 60 views the only vote cast is for that afterthought option.
More interesting: after 24 hours and 120 views the vote is still 100% of votes (just one) still say leave unsleeved.

I wonder if it's something people are struggling of come up with definitive answer so I've added an extra 'Don't know' category.

More interesting: after 24 hours and 120 views the vote is still 100% of votes (just one) still say leave unsleeved.

I wonder if it's something people are struggling of come up with definitive answer so I've added an extra 'Don't know' category.
Probably more to do with none of the options leaving a compliant installation. None of them deal with the yellow core.

Probably more to do with none of the options leaving a compliant installation. None of them deal with the yellow core.
Well as it is it's appears yellow and green and green was most likely correct at installation. I hadn't even considered it and not highlighted on the EICR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back