Mixed Core Colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone confirm please.

If mixing new conductor colours, Brown, Black, Grey, Blue, with old conductor colours, Red, Yellow, Blue, Black, It says in Appendix 7, Page 407 of the book I have that:
"unambigous identification is required at the interface. Cores should be marked as follows"
This then shows a table with L1, L2, L3, N.

When it says 'at the interface', I guess that means at the point you are working? I.e at a new light fitting being connected to an old installation, or a spur off an old ring main etc?

Thanks
Ryan[/b]

Sponsored Links
The interface will be as stated by yourself, at the point where the mixed colours are terminated, this does not apply to single phase installations though.

Yeah, in single phase you don't have L1/ L2/ L3 but you do need to mark the cores to show their function.

And fit a two colours sticker.

Thanks for the replies.

The installation is a set of lights, with a 1/3 of lights on each phase. So they would need making L1 L2 L3 respectively at each junction box.

Where are the stickers mounted in this case? On the junction box lid?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Usually at the board, but no harm in one on the lid too.

However, is this domestic work?

No, industrial.

A lot of the lights are that old, they need replacing. But the original lights were wired with RYB, B. But obviously the new lights need to use BBG, B when wiring them in to the junction boxes.

The best way would be to re-do the whole wiring, but this isn't really practicle. So stickers generally on the distribution board, and L1 L2 L3 markers on the wires where the work is being done?

Thanks a lot

Why do you need to ask about industrial installation work on a DIY website?

Does your customer know you have to ask about how to do your job on a DIY website?

Is your public liability insurance up to date?

Why is there a need to replace cables when replacing the fittings?

Lectrician, as when previous fittings has been removed, they are that old the wires are chared, so not safe to re-use them.

RF Lighting, it's a small family business which we are all trying to keep above water at the moment, and a lot of the time we DIY! I am putting myself through college to help me with work like this, but also appreciate the help I get on here from the majority of the members who seem the enjoy helping and it make a difference to me. There are also some very unhelpful people on here, which I don't understand why they post sometimes.

RF Lighting, it's a small family business which we are all trying to keep above water at the moment, and a lot of the time we DIY!
I understand that, but do bear in mind that there are laws which apply to businesses, be they family run or not, and if you are not competent to discharge your duties under the EAWR then you must not do electrical work.

Also bear in mind that 3-phase installations are significantly more dangerous than single-phase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back