3 core armoured cable single phase - extending & colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to extend an armoured cable I have running to a summer house to a shed i have in the garden and the existing cable was put in about 5-6 years ago and (i think) the colours are red yellow and blue. I just purchaed a new 3 core armoured cable (same thickness) but it has the new colours - brown, back and grey.

Can anyone confirm the correct colour mapping for the old / new colours ?

I think its:

Live - red (old) - brown (new)
Neutral - blue (old) - grey (new)
Earth - yellow (old) - black (new)

Sponsored Links
Yup.

The cores used for earth should be sleeved green & yellow, and you should put a warning notice on the CU about mixed colours.

TLLAB49.JPG

How, and where, do you plan to join the cables?

How long will the extended cable be?

What will be the load on the cable?

Are you aware that the work is notifiable?

How will you test it?

Sponsored Links
Both of those sets of colours are 3phase colours, they are irrelevant to single phase. The should all be sleeved to single-phase colours: brown(line), blue(neutral) and green/yellow(earth)

It is LIKELY that the guy who put the cable in used red for line, blue for neutral and yellow for earth, but you MUST check how it's wired at your CU.

So, buy yourself some sleeving, sleeve up the original as it is wired, then sleeve up the new cable - leave the brown as it is, and take your pick with the other two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back