Colour standard for 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out of curiosity.
Recently I have opened quite a few 2 way switches and never found the same setup colour wise.
Some have Brown-Common, Grey-L1 and Black-L2.
Others Black-Common, Brown-L1 and Grey L2.
And any other possible combination.
I suppose that as long as Black and Grey are sleeved in brown and all wires are matching in both switches, it doesn't matter.
But is there an official standard in the regulations?

Sponsored Links
I suppose that anyone looking for a permanent live would use a multimeter rather than rely on colours :p
Or maybe not...

I suppose that anyone looking for a permanent live would use a multimeter rather than rely on colours :p
Or maybe not...
Well, yes you have to.

Even if there were a standard, you still would not be wise to rely on it having been followed.

Sponsored Links
I would use Brown/Red for the Permanent Lives throughout but other people do not even seem to do that.
I alway install with brown permanent live when possible but other seem to drift towards brown common.

No.

Wires just have to be 'identified'.

I would use Brown/Red for the Permanent Lives throughout but other people do not even seem to do that.
I came across one electrician who used the black/blue for perm line on switch drops to leave the red/brown as SL. I couldn't fault his reasoning but I wouldn't do it.

I came across one electrician who used the black/blue for perm line on switch drops to leave the red/brown as SL. I couldn't fault his reasoning but I wouldn't do it.
What exactly was his "reasoning"? Provide the black/blue is appropriately over-sleeved, both approaches are equally acceptable to the regs.

Many of us adopt conventions for (our own) 'convenience', but there are no rules. Like EFLI, I find it more logical (hence my personal convention) to use red/brown for the conductor which is 'always live', but others (like the person you mention) may feel that the opposite is more appropriate.

Kind Regards, John

What exactly was his "reasoning"? Provide the black/blue is appropriately over-sleeved, both approaches are equally acceptable to the regs.

Many of us adopt conventions for (our own) 'convenience', but there are no rules. Like EFLI, I find it more logical (hence my personal convention) to use red/brown for the conductor which is 'always live', but others (like the person you mention) may feel that the opposite is more appropriate.

Kind Regards, John
Just that the colours of the pendant flex matched the fixed wiring.

Just that the colours of the pendant flex matched the fixed wiring.
Oh, fair enough - I suppose that is reasonably logical at that location. I think 'my convention' is more related to what happens at the switch end - when it seems more logical to me that the conductor which is 'always live' (which I might, for example, want to link to another switch) should be brown. However, as said, it really doesn't matter.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I've seen this myself, without any sleeves.
Easy to see in a ceiling rose though, but still, I wouldn't do this and I'm not an electrician.

I remember two red cores and earth, think there was a three red core and earth, but when the colours changed have not seen twin brown or three brown and earth although they would be the correct colours, but having the phase colours even if the installation is single phase does allow one to follow the colours switch to switch although all should have brown or red sleeves.

In the UK we had red, yellow, blue, in rest of Europe it was brown, black, black, when we harmonised and we got the grey wire not sure if it helped or hindered the European electrician as they had not bothered with keeping the phase rotation, and I know I have been caught out using a phase rotation meter when the rest of the factory was wrong.

But you can't have a colour code for the correct three brown wires, they are all the same colour, so when one uses the wrong colours you clearly also can't have a colour code, personally I am glad we use three colours for two way switching, it does make it easier, but not sure on using blue for the switch wires, so many people jump to the conclusion it must be neutral when its not.

Fitting sleeves or numbers and letters is all well and good when using ferrules so they can't fall off, but without the ferrule one must realise they will fall off unless shrink is used, and domestic electricians don't tend to have hot air guns or ferrule crimpers in their tool kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back