Coloured toilets and taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen some nice black matt coloured toilets, taps and accessories for my new bathroom.

Has anyone had any negative personal experience with matt black coloured toilets, basins, shower mixers etc? I plan to use a water softener in the home but wondering if reduced limescale will be an issue over the medium to long term. I'm aware that most unique things look great in the beginning but then are not considered practical down the road.

Sponsored Links
I've not used black fittings, but have been really impressed with the brushed stainless steel tap I have in the kitchen. I'm fed up of cleaning the corrosion from the chrome plated fittings in the bathroom and am slowly replacing them when I have the money!

I've seen some nice black matt coloured toilets, taps and accessories for my new bathroom.

Has anyone had any negative personal experience with matt black coloured toilets, basins, shower mixers etc? I plan to use a water softener in the home but wondering if reduced limescale will be an issue over the medium to long term. I'm aware that most unique things look great in the beginning but then are not considered practical down the road.
Might be OK as long as it stays in fashion, but how long will that be? In the 80s various colours were available, but nowadays white is preferred AFAIK. I have an avocado bath suite from that era, and that's considered the most naff of all!

Sponsored Links
You'll see every single tiny mark on them - every bit of scale, soap scum, toothpaste, water marks... you name it, you'll see it as a mark. Unless you're a huge fan of doing lots of cleaning they're best avoided

Yes, this is exactly my worry and I'm rather shameless to stay we are quite lazy at cleaning! Might just stick to the white glazed.

On another subject, how can I find wider toilet bowls? In my culture we tend to wash ourselves with a douche shower spray but I find it somewhat annoying sitting on tiny toilets which are clearly smaller than average or wider bowls.

Last edited:
Douche sprays are generally not permitted to be installed in the UK as they contravene Water Regulations. There is a way round it - they can be supplied from a dedicated loft tank with a pump, but they are absolutely never permitted to be connected directly to a mains water supply under any circumstances. There are a few bidet seats which can be mains fed, and of course systems like Geberit Aquaclean or Duravit Sensowash.

With that important detail out of the way, the only way to find out the size of toilet bowls is to look at manufacturers technical drawings. You won't find any advertised for the purpose you intend due to the aforementioned violation of Water Regulations. Bariatric toilets designed for very large people are wider, but likely to be so heavy themselves that you can't carry them up the stairs

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back