colouring PVA/water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Does anyone colour PVA/water mix when applying to make it easier to see where you've been?

I've been applying PVA/water mix to emulsioned walls which are yellow in colour (tasteful 70s!). I find it difficult to see where I have already been.

I have read that it's possible to put a spot of food colouring in to make it easier to see. Would this adversely affect things?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I don't think it would affect the pva quality/strength at all Newbee. If the colouring or whatever, is water based, i wouldn't see a problem with it,, but at least you would see where you have been on an awkward coloured background. You can't afford to miss any area of wall with the pva. ;)

Roughcaster.

TIA! like it Newbie, using that acronym from now on, anything that saves some typing ;)

i've used food dye from time to time when i'm having trouble seeing where i've been as the suction has been so high it's drying before i can finish and can't see where i've been already, had no problems, normally only on the first coat though when controlling suction as after that the wall/ceiling stays wet with PVA anyway and the colouring already up there makes it almost pointless using a coloured coat second time round...unless you use a different colour i suppose.

you just need to decide what colour now

I'd go for one thats closest to the colour of whatever colour you have in your box :D

Sponsored Links
I personally wouldn't take the risk of it bleeding through when you paint it - especially if it's white.

can't you get PVA that goes on pink and dries white? like that paint that they do.. it goes on pink, but dries white.. so you can see what you've painted..

might be worth dropping a line to the PVA makers and suggesting it..

If you use a striped food dye, you can apply it more evenly using the stripes as a guide.

Send the apprentice to get some :LOL:

Sorry for the delay guys, been offline for a couple of days.

Thanks for all the info - v useful as always.

TIA! like it Newbie, using that acronym from now on, anything that saves some typing ;)
No prob - tho can't take the credit, as I spotted it on another post a while ago and thought the same!

I personally wouldn't take the risk of it bleeding through when you paint it - especially if it's white.
I hadn't thought of this angle. :eek:
Have you seen this happen Joe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back