pva colouring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do i add to a pva mix to change the colour so that when i put it onto the walls i can clearly see the bits i have missed.

nice and bright like a green or red would do. do i use food colouring?

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate, the colour won't bleed through when the plaster is painted will it. Sorry If
its a silly question?

Sponsored Links
nice and bright like a green or red would do. do i use food colouring?

Yep, food colouring.
Don't do this personally, but another one I've heard is that when doing 2 coats of diluted PVA, if you are being really keen and want to make sure you've got everywhere with the second coat....
put yellow colour in the first coat and a bit of blue in the second.
Everywhere should finish green!
The colour won't come through.

Wet PVA looks wet - doesn't need colouring. :rolleyes:

Got to agree with ya joe :LOL: Come on guys, FFS, I can’t believe anyone would seriously need or want to tint PVA :confused: but if you really have to, I prefer yellow :LOL:

Got to agree with ya joe :LOL: Come on guys, FFS, I can’t believe anyone would seriously need or want to tint PVA :confused: but if you really have to, I prefer yellow :LOL:
well rich ive got to say im skimming my own ceiling tomorrow and i have used green food colouring, it shows the misses up that might cause a bit of bother, bond it is green, blue grit is blue, pva is clear until you add some colour to it, my ceiling is a nice green now showing no misses, and as its over artex i added some sand, it has given the ceiling the appearence of a cheaper version of bond it, tbh with site work i dont usually get the chance to be this thorough but as its my ceiling i thought i would give it the works :)

cheers for the pics steve

what i meant about the colour of the pva bleeding through was when i gets painted and you put the mist coat on but i cant see it bleeding through anyway, just me being over cautious. :eek:

cheers mate :LOL:

cheers for the pics steve

what i meant about the colour of the pva bleeding through was when i gets painted and you put the mist coat on but i cant see it bleeding through anyway, just me being over cautious. :eek:

cheers mate :LOL:
np m8, just remember there are no silly questions, if your not sure about something its best to ask or you will never know, i also think that tinting pva is a good idea if you have to rely on someone else that is doing the prep work, on several occasions i have picked up on misses done by my labourer in some cases it was to late, stick a bit of colouring in and you can see exactly where he has pva'd ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back