Column rad feet on non-column rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One pic shows the experiments I'm doing with supporting a type 11 radiator (160cm wide, 50cm high, total weight around 35kg) using universal column radiator feet.
The other pic shows the detail of the contact surface between the rad and the feet.
00.jpg

01.jpg

Aesthetic considerations apart, is there foreseeable problem with what I'm doing?

Of course, the feet would be in addition to standard wall-mounted brackets (which I wanted to complement because I don't trust their strength, for various reasons).

I'm asking because these feet are sold to be used on column rads, which my rad is not: https://radiatorvalves4u.co.uk/516-column-radiator-foot-white/
https://radiatorvalves4u.co.uk/516-column-radiator-foot-white/
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So long as you use wall brackets as well, no problem.

Test before piping up: if you can't wrench it off the wall no-one else is likely to.

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to achieve by using them? Ideally a 1600 rad should have 3 brackets and they should be enough if they are anchored to the wall properly. Is it on plasterboard? If so I'd be cutting the plasterboard out and replacing it with 12mm hardwood ply across the batons .

The feet will support the rad in the vertical but not in the horizontal. There are 2 pulling forces on a radiator, especially when it's full, the pulling straight down force by it's over all weight and the inherent pulling away force from the wall at the top of the bracket. That's why the bracket supports top and bottom and needs to be secure at both points, even more so at the top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back