Combi 100 trips out when trying to fire when cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Combi 100 and it is pretty much a new boiler, over the last 2 years we have had a new pump, stats, pcb, fan, diverter valve, etc.
Triggers broom!

It has been working a treat, all 13 radiators are kicking out proper heat, the unit is silent and we are chuffed as we were going to change it last year, but turned out it was just the pump playing up and someone had fitted one that was too small.

However....... the last few days the heating has not come on in the morning and when I looked the thing had shut down, red light on. Press the button it fires up and is fine again all day and all evening, but next morning it is off again and needs resetting.

Now I presumed this would be the pump overrun not working properly, but I was up at 5am yesterday and when I walked through to turn the heating on the red trip light was not on, but as soon as I fired it up it cut out and red light was up.

So, obviously not cutting out when it switches off so not the pump overrun.

My heating comes on at 7am till 9am and then again at midday for 2 hours and then again at 5pm ready for when we get home until midnight.

That all works fine, once I have reset it at 7am, the rest of the day is not a problem.
We also have a room 'stat as well, so the thing turns on and off around 15-20 times a day at a guess.

Yesterday we were out all day and the heating turns off at 9am on a Sunday and doesnt kick back in until 5pm, I was expecting to walk in at 9pm to a cold house, but it was all running a treat.

So then hoped that this morning it would be running, but no, it had tripped out again and needed resetting.

The only logical thing is something is getting stuck but only when cold, but what?

Obviously an ignition issue I would guess, but how do I try and work at what?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sounds like your gas valve is sticking , it is operated by solonoids and these can stick when at rest for long periods but as you say once released normally run fine all day

Many thanks for the reply.

Is the part still available do you know?

Sponsored Links
I won't do it, gas scares me silly!! :eek:

just wondering if I can get a part off eBay etc. for when my mate gets back from holiday on Saturday. Typically he is away at the moment.

That would cost you if it isn't the gas valve. Just bite the bullet man and get an engineer to diagnose.

I don't mind spending the money, I would just like the parts here for when he arrives, and so far I have managed to get some new old stock no problem at all.
He is the one that suggested getting the fan and pump etc. elsewhere as his supplier is not that cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back