Combi and Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. I'm installing a new Hive system at home.. My boiler has the attached wiring. Am I right in thinking I disconnect switch live in and out which are currently running to the old thermostats. And run a cable from switch live out to com on the receiver and switch live in to the heating on? Obviously bringing across Line; neutral and earth.. so use a 5 core. ?
ygLbGM2
kxwQKhZ

Im worried about the boiler instructions saying not to run direct 230v

jLmv5Tk

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My boiler has the attached wiring.
upload_2019-2-15_23-34-59.png

Am I right in thinking I disconnect switch live in and out which are currently running to the old thermostats.
Yes, but see below.

And run a cable from switch live out to com on the receiver and switch live in to the heating on?[ Obviously bringing across Line; neutral and earth.. so use a 5 core. ?
That is correct - but that is a five-core cable attached to the boiler so do you have a wiring centre at the other end of it where the Hive can be connected?
ygLbGM2
kxwQKhZ

Im worried about the boiler instructions saying not to run direct 230v
jLmv5Tk
Are you looking at a different part of the insructions?

It is 230V
upload_2019-2-15_23-39-28.png

View attachment 159106

Yes, but see below.

That is correct - but that is a five-core cable attached to the boiler so do you have a wiring centre at the other end of it where the Hive can be connected?
ygLbGM2
kxwQKhZ

Are you looking at a different part of the insructions?

It is 230V
View attachment 159107

Ahh regards the 230v I was, confused thinking I'd blow the boiler switching with 230v.. but that's what its doing now! ‍♂️

Not sure what you mean when you say wiring centre? I was going to run 5c straight from the connector block in the boiler to the Hive receiver?

This is upstairs, I have 2 zones.. up and down. I realise now I will need to install 2 receivers?
But will be fine with a little guidance from you guys.. thanks for the help so far! So these actuators and connector block are up stairs..
20190216_072529.jpg
20190216_072539.jpg
20190216_072521.jpg
20190216_072525.jpg
20190216_072525.jpg
20190216_072521.jpg
20190216_072539.jpg
20190216_072529.jpg

I've been doing alot of searching, I know people hate it when people don't even look.

It appears I have a S plan heating system. And I need 1 single channel Hive unit and an additional thermometer and receiver.

I'm just confused where I install the recievers.. and do I link in with the wiring centre by the valves?

Thanks in advance!

You must not alter the wiring connections at the boiler.

All modifications should be done at the wiring centre.

This is because it is not the thermostat which turns on the boiler, the thermostat turns on the valve which, when open, then turns on the boiler.
So you must disconnect the thermostat wires from the wiring centre and substitute with the Hive wire(s) - plus L, N & E, of course.
The Hive(s) can be fitted near the valves.

Yes you will need two Hives or I suppose you could get a two channel one and use the Hot Water channel for your second Heating Zone.

You must not alter the wiring connections at the boiler.

All modifications should be done at the wiring centre.

This is because it is not the thermostat which turns on the boiler, the thermostat turns on the valve which, when open, then turns on the boiler.
So you must disconnect the thermostat wires from the wiring centre and substitute with the Hive wire(s) - plus L, N & E, of course.
The Hive(s) can be fitted near the valves.

Yes you will need two Hives or I suppose you could get a two channel one and use the Hot Water channel for your second Heating Zone.

Thank you so much for your patience!

I already have the single channel and extra stat so will use the 2 recievers.. and place them in the airing cupboard by the valves.

20190216_114411.jpg
So I don't touch where the valve is connected? Sorry. This is probably simple but the number of wires has baffled me! I understud coming straight from the boiler

No, you won't need to alter the valve wiring.

It might be baffling but there don't seem to be enough wires.
Can you tell where is the other end of the white cable that comes from the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back