Combi Boiler and Cold Water Tank

BJC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kids stay in a 2nd floor (of 3) flat which has a combi boiler. However it also has a cold water storage tank which appears to be leaking and I thought about removing it. Is there any reason why this tank would have been retained when the boiler was installed (other than saving time and money)?

Sponsored Links
It may be supplying the toilets OR other cold water outlets.

Also some older Worcester boilers have an open vent kit so a tank would still be required.

• Thanks
Reactions: BJC
The tank supplies the toilet, bath and WHB but I thought I could connect these to the mains. Not sure of the boiler make but it is not a Worcester. The tank is inside the flat about 6m away from the boiler (and about 1m above the the boiler level).

Sponsored Links
You can connect them to the main supply, just reduce the pressure.

So you dont have to change the toilet inlet, also it will stop the cold tap splashing...but yes you dont have to.

• Thanks
Reactions: BJC
You won't necessarily need to change the toilet valve. It may only need a high pressure valve insert. Taps will be no different to the hot taps already.

How did you propose to reduce the pressure? Changing a toilet valve would be darn sight cheaper than installing a pressure reducing valve! :eek:

OK thanks chaps. Looks as though the tank can be removed. A new toilet is getting fitted anyway so will ensure it has a high pressure inlet.

Thanks

The tank supplies the toilet, bath and WHB but I thought I could connect these to the mains. Not sure of the boiler make but it is not a Worcester. The tank is inside the flat about 6m away from the boiler (and about 1m above the the boiler level).
Sounds like a proper cowboy job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back