Combi boiler at end of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A BG engineer has just issued me with an Immediate Danger notification for having the boiler situated over one end of the bath (zone 1).
The boiler was installed 4 years ago by a local plumber (prior to us buying the house I may add!). It is boxed in however - the box is tiled with a wooden door.

Where do I stand? Am I within my rights to request the plumber makes good even though I wasn't the one who paid him? Is there anything that can be done to remedy the situation apart from either ripping out the bath or moving the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Wow, that's...errr...quite something. Are you sure the boiler was put in before the bath? As it's an electrical appliance (yes, I know it's gas fired but it's still got electric bits in it) then you most certainly can't have it there, as the BG engineer said, it's within zone 1 which is an electrical safety zone. If the boxing was watertight you *might* have a case for saying it's acceptable, but you'd also have to prove that it met the necessary IP rating. I suspect this boxing is also too small and does not provide the minimum clearances for the boiler, but that's a minor issue here.

Either the bath or the boiler must be moved. Your ID notice, as I'm sure you've been made aware, prohibits you from operating your boiler until the work is carried out. The original plumber will charge you for remedial work, as will any other plumber, and as it's on emergency rates don't be surprised to get some silly quotes. I would be inclined to report the original plumber though, provided that you are CERTAIN that the bath came before the boiler. Otherwise it'll just be highly embarrassing.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm And it never occurred that an electrical appliance that close to both a bath and shower might be dangerous???? Are people out there REALLY that dumb?...No need to tell me, I know that they are.

Had a very good buddy who wanted to replace his existing boiler which was over the end of his bath.. It almost came to blows when I refused, not only stating the safety implications, but also my refusal to remove my shoes whilst standing in his Jacuzzi to fit it... The loft was a far better place to put it. In the end he found a helpful cowboy who fitted an Isar over the bath on his existing 15mm gas supply.... Still he has built a very nice box round the boiler to support his flat panel TV.... :eek: :eek:

Bearing in mind the box is tiled and is at the opposite end of the bath to the shower......

It only has to be IPX5 splashproof.

The shower attachment could be removed.

You could turn off the electrical supply to the boiler and point a reasonable amount of shower spray (with the limitations of the fixed hose length) at the enclosure and see if any water gets inside.

Technically this boiler is built in an enclosure which sets it outside the zone. The question is, does the enclosure afford the necessary protection, and is access only available to it by a lock or key?

The ventilation requirements to prevent the boiler or cabinet from being damaged by heat is another matter.

And I do not think you will have any case with the plumber because he can say the bath or shower was not there. The reality of all this is that he almost certainly did what was asked of him by the owner at that time.

You are liable because you bought the house, warts and all. It was your decision and you should have taken professional advice eg: full survey. In this case you could claim off the surveyor's professional indemnity insurance.

WHile generally respecting BG safety procedures, they don't make the regs.
ID is a GAS gategorisation. Disconnecting the gas supply, the normal action, won't make this boler safe!

The question has been on the electrical part of this forum a few times. A cupboard only renders the space outside the zone, if its door doesn't open. If you can still touch the boiler and the shower, then it's not doing a lot.

If the cupboard
1) were sealed to the appropriate standard
2) needed a key not kept in the bathroom to open it
3) provided necessary clearances round the boiler, and ventilation to it
then, arguably, you'd be OK.

Number one is the biggest difficulty in my view. After some period of time, could the sealing crack and let water in??

Thanks for the replies so far.
The plumber knew that a bath/shower was there as he plumbed them in!

At the risk of invoking the wrath of the forums, I've turned the boiler back on as I'm very confident that the boiler never gets even a single splash of water on it and doesn't pose an immediate danger. Think I'll get the original plumber round and quiz him on it (and maybe get a quote :evil: )

, I've turned the boiler back on as I'm very confident that the boiler never gets even a single splash of water on it

You obviously know better than trained gas people! :rolleyes:

You should change your user name to a more apt one. :LOL:

Was that a second engineer from the same firm ( BG ? ) or from another firm.

These assessments are primarily a matter of judgement.

If I am called to repair a boiler in a bathroom then I will repair it and give a written warning on the invoice. If it really is quite unsafe I leave it turned off and also note that on the invoice.

If its in an unlocked box, as most are, then I am quite relaxed and just point out verbally that the compartment should be locked or need a took to open.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back