Combi boiler - clunking pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m getting some annoying clunking and banging from the pipes around the house. My combi-boiler is relatively new (around 3 or 4 years). There doesn’t seem to be an obvious pattern when the clunking occurs, but I have a feeling it could be mainly after the boiler it turned off.

A bit of extra info: the water pressure of the boiler is fine (about 1.5 when cold, and 2-ish when running), and the radiators all heat up quickly once the heating is switched on. The boiler was last serviced just over a year ago. The actual pipes in the house appear to be quite old-looking, but I’m not sure if that’d be a factor considering there never used to be clunking with such frequency.

My intention is to call in the engineer to service the boiler again, and to ask him to investigate the clunking at the same time. However, before I do this I’d be really grateful for any thoughts on what the cause might be. Are there any simple things I could try to fix it myself (bearing in mind I’m a total novice when it comes to boilers!)? For instance, might it be worth airing / bleeding the radiators in case there's trapped air in the system?

Oh, one last thing, the engineer who serviced the boiler before was 'corgi' registered. Am I right in thinking this has been replaced by some kind of new certification? If so, is it safe to assume that as he was Corgi registered before, he will have the new certification, or is it worth checking that out?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If your in Bristol then any one working on your gas pipework or appliances and are a business must be Gas Safe registered. Many engineers who were Corgi registered before did switch to Gas Safe some did not ( for many reasons) some are still corgi registered and gas safe registered. You are advised by Gas Safe to ask to see their acs card for proof they are competent ( core skill, gas fires, boilers, cookers etc.

gas safe is the new corgi in all uk.not too much too worry about the pipes i dont think although annoying,just bad install not necessary heating pipes could be hot/cold.the banging will probably be from pipes not clipped,lagged or seperated properly.it can be solved if you can find the offending pipes just clip or wrap lagging around to stop them touching .it could be water hammer or air but would try the above first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back