Combi boiler filling loop not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Any help greatly appreciated.

I have a problem with my Ariston Microgenus combi boiler.
The pressure gauge shows about 0.5 and I'd like to top it up to about 1.0.
I've previously used the filling loop, turning the black knobs a quarter-turn to top it up.
This time, I'm turning the knobs but there's no audible rush of water and the pressure isn't increasing.
Hot water is working fine. Central heating is working fine (I've tested it but not switched it on for winter yet).
I've tried bleeding a couple of radiators but water comes out immediately.
I've done a bit of plumbing recently on the hot and cold water in the bathroom but I can't think how this would affect the cold top-up feed to the boiler.

Any suggestions?!
Thanks in advance!

Adam

Sponsored Links
remove hose fromm 22mm pipe, direct into bucket, turn on

does water come out?

Could be a blockage or the plastic handles spinning on the valves. If you feel confident you can drain down the heating and cold water and fit a new external filling loop if GG's suggestion doesn't help

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've just tried disconnecting the filling hose and pointing it in a bucket.
Water comes out when the tap is turned on, but only very slowly.

The other thing is that Thames Water recently fitted a water meter outside. Is it possible some muck could have got through and has partially blocked the filling pipe?

Problem solved I think.

I took the filler pipe off and gave it a blow through to see if it had any crud in it. Seemed okay.
Then tested both plastic levers - high presssure from both.
Reconnected the filler hose.
Turned the taps and it started re-pressurising very very slowly.
Turned taps off at around 1 Bar
Not sure what the problem was but it seems to be okay now.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back