filling loop only works ad hoc of the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I hope you can help me with an odd issue with my Ideal logic combi -35 boiler.

At this time of the year (winter) the pressure of the boiler will drop below 1 bar and I would normally top it up by using the filling loops valves.

Normally, this works fine.

However, in the last month the filling loop only seems to ad hoc of the time.

When the filling loop is working you can hear the water running through the loop and the pressure going up.

And the valve is easy to open.

When the filling loop is not working, there is no flow sound of water.

And the valve is hard to open.

But when I turn the central heating off for a few hours, then back on again. Then use the filling loop, it will work again.

Its like it will only work if the boiler is cool.

It’s very odd.

Has anyone experience this issue before and what can cause it?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Possibly the plastic lever is slipping on the actual valve protrusion? Undo the screw, remove the plastic handle and use a pair of pliers to turn the valve.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have already checked this and I do not believe this is the issue.

Is there anything else that can cause no water flow in the filling loops?

I’m I right in thinking the flow of water should always exist if the filling loops are open?

1. Water will only flow through the filling loop if the mains pressure is higher than the system pressure.
2. It won't (or shouldn't) flow the other way because there should be a check valve in the filling loop circuit.
3. See if its better at night, when the pressure is often higher because of lower general usage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the technical pointers.

I will do some looking around and testing.

I will let you know.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back