Combi Boiler fitting costs

To be honest yeah we all have set prices and thats up to the individual but if this job is as easy as the guy says i would fit it in after doing what ever else i had planned in that week for say £400 as this is better in my pocket than not having £600.
Some people get far too greedy on piece of pi55 jobs.
Simple put the shoe on the other foot would you all pay a trades man 600 plus quid a day to work in your own house without questioning it. I very much doubt it so why attack this guy

Sponsored Links
To be honest yeah we all have set prices and thats up to the individual but if this job is as easy as the guy says i would fit it in after doing what ever else i had planned in that week for say £400 as this is better in my pocket than not having £600.
Some people get far too greedy on piece of pi55 jobs.
Simple put the shoe on the other foot would you all pay a trades man 600 plus quid a day to work in your own house without questioning it. I very much doubt it so why attack this guy

Because the customer is getting involved in the work, and his ability is an unknown quantity.. How are you gonna commission the boiler if he hasn't done his bit? Do you come back tomorrow? will he pay for the extra? It is amazing just how forgetful they can be when it comes to remembering just who does what unless you put it all down on paper.. More time. Would you really take the cash and leg it knowing that the customer has done something wrong and wont correct it himself?.. I had one old duffer who refused to be pushed round by the nanny state and refused to let me fit a room stat.. what if your customer is one of those?

From what he has said it is quite easy to visualise the job .Nothing hidden and all on show .Its all already draindown and a fair bit of the job done with cylinder etc removed and he has not touched the gas.
People on here complain that customers pidgeon hole all of us as rogue traders and rip off merchants and then do the say the same thing about customers.
Its simple when you price the job you say its this amount to do it IF you have feked up then its this amount .Been in the game long enough to spot the time wasters to the genuine on atight budget
But i am looking solely at this job and what the guy has said and he seems reasonable enough.
Oh and he has a wireless room stat already.

End of the day it is what is acceptable to the client and the person providing the service. This one seems to be cut and dried only in need of cooking.

There are occasions where I would prefer the client to supply the boiler having been told it is fit only and not covering any unforeseen malfunctions.

There are installers out there who will fit only one make/ model regardless of what the customer needs.

I (almost) only repair boilers. Occasional customers when given a price do a bit of elementary arithmetic to come up with newspaper figures making no allowances for a-day-I-should-have-stayed-in-bed (yesterdays it was one step forward and three back), an appointment decides to go for a 'walk' well knowing he should await my arrival so boiler can be repaired, needing million and one bits back of the van to carry out single visit fix (sometimes impossible where the customers does not get charged for down time acquiring the said bit) to mention a few.

Sponsored Links
I have to side with namsag on this one, assuming everything is a simple as the op states I would be looking at a days labour plus odd materials etc, so about £400 also would be my price.

If the op supplies his own boiler though, I would not warrant anything to do with this, just my pipe work.

No one's attacking him but he has fallen into the same trap as everyone else with his quip of a £148K a year based on the cost of a £600 boiler install.

Bottom line is we live in a capitalist society so you pay the going rate for anything you buy and the going rate for a boiler install such as this one,which is a just tad too convenient or plausible for me,is roughly what he has been quoted.

To answer your question no, I wouldn't be prepared to pay someone £600 for one days labour but I doubt that I would get it any cheaper without compromising the work if that price was the indeed the going rate for the job I wanted done.

As you,me and everyone else on this forum knows as soon as you cut someone's money then the job suffers in some way and that is really what the OP has to decide for himself.

When I served my apprenticeship (1977) the going homer rate for a washing machine install was £45 and that price has hardly changed in all of that time,you'll still get it done for that today or as nears as damn same goes for bathroom suite installs,well the bog standard ones anyway,which are roughly about £350 now but thirty year ago the rate for doing one was about £100. Back then a plumber working for a firm was taking home about £32 a week or £28 if you were an approved plumber.

Ok the guys comment about amount earned in a year is stupid and ill informed.

But why would cutting someones money make thequality of the job suffer .

The most i have made in a day doing boiler changes is around £850 clear the lowest prob just over £200 clear.

Did i do a worse job for the £200 than i did for the £850 NO i done exactly the same standard of work. And it was my choice to do it for whatever price i deamed right, could i justify the 850 for a day NO but i can live with it
I don`t agree with this logic of dearer is always better and cheaper is sh~te same as corgi registered makes someone good .Some of the worst quality of work guys i see out there are registered.

Memories memories

When i started my gas apprenticeship in 79 i was on £32 a week with qualified guys on £64 plus bonuses. We would easily double this doing privates.
The year previous i had started another apprenticeship and that was on £16.50 a week.
Gas board apprentices now start on around £260 a week i think so cant be bothered doing privates as we used too

Well you and I and others that we know,probably,wouldn't cut the quality of the job but a lot would,IMO and that is a big risk for the likes of the OP.

I did a boiler change at the start of the year,Vokera Mynute replaced like with like or more or less. I made £350 tops from the job ,punter was a pain I shelled out £550 for the boiler and he got the work done for buttons. Another lesson learned,never price work when your skint,LOL.

Same as the OP who really needs to look at the bigger picture here.

Someone/mob supplying and installing a decent boiler and etc etc are going to be looking for the best part of £2K but the OP will get the job done for just over a grand,now that is a good deal and he couldn't have got that deal without a RGI willing to do the install.

So rather than complain about some guy making £600 he should be pleased he is saving nearly a £1K.

£16 a week was my wage as a first year apprentice plumber which cleared me about £14.50 and left me with a ten spot after paying my mum her dig money.

First wage as a plumber in 1980 I cleared about £72 for a 40 hour week. I was lucky to be working then too what with Thatcher and her cronies robbing all of us blind and selling off everything they could.

The good old days eh? ;)

Has been deleted by Mod 10

Why are you giving false information to this person?

Your are not CORGI registered and you are not qualified and you dont even know what is required.

Aditionally, as you have already been told on this forum what is required, you have either forgotten it or you are to lazy to look it up so that you could give the correct information!

In order for any CORGI to LEGALLY notify the boiler as his own install he has to:

Fit the mounting bracket.
Fit and assemble the flue.
Fit and test the gas supply.
Test and commission the boiler and complete the Benchmark.

Tony

Interesting thread - interesting as a DIYer seeing the pro's point of view. I can understand why many wouldn't touch this kind of work, and why many who would may want to cost in sufficient contingency to cover the liklihood the DIYer in question is a clueless numpty and causes much hassle. But there are competent DIYers who can do an excellent well planned job , and who want to be on the right side of the regs and therefore want to engage a Corgi for the bare minimum.

I was asking a similar question when I joined up here...

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142034

...and Agile/Tony said he'd charge '£180 upwards' for 'assisting a DIYer' in this way. Sure I noticed the 'upwards' but was kinda hoping I won't be looking at £600 considering I'd be providing a pre-planned suitable location for the combi and brand new pressure tested central heating/DHW/cold inlet systems all in place to connect to. As Tony put, it would involve two short visits that I'd intend to be flexible enough about that the Corgi could fit them in around other work when he's in the area (if that's how he wanted to do it) - pocket money really. Of course I wouldn't expect the Corgi to warrant anything other than his own input.

Anyway I haven't got round to properly contacting Eaton/Kev who offered his services, though I'm soon ready to get this work done, so I dont know what I'll be looking at yet. Maybe I should prepare myself for a shock though ;)

Liam

Possibly. Some posters on here consistently describe themselves as both cheaper, and more technically able than the others.

That is an internet forum - where promises can be made of sand, and quotes are for amusement only;

The reality is that the more technically able are in greater demand and will charge more.

Those of us with plenty of work can be a little more choosy, and this means we supply our own materials and don't take on tasks on a shared basis with DIYers trying to balance big projects and going to work. Experience has shown this will cost us extra time and money.

But there are competent DIYers who can do an excellent well planned job , and who want to be on the right side of the regs and therefore want to engage a Corgi for the bare minimum.

Liam

Those we would charge £180 to.

However, on the very few occasions I have agreed to do this, the DIYer has assured me of his competence but not demonstrated it in practice.

A typical situation is to have filled the system and sorted out the multitude of leaks he then asks me how he adds the inhibitor and wants me to stay to help him do that.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back