locating combi boiler in external meter cupboard--good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace an indirect central heating system (boiler/cistern/loft tank) with a Vaillant Ecotec combi boiler in a small 2 bed/1 bath terraced London home (1980s build). The current boiler/cistern are located in the ground floor airing cupboard off the kitchen and I planned to locate the new combi on the wall there (and drain condensate into the soil stack which is located just behind the closet). However, I've been advised by one installer that I could also install the boiler in the external facing utility cupboard (with gas and electricity meters) located just to the right of my front door (but only accessible from the outside). The condensate would still drain into the soil stack inside the property (with a pipe run of about 3-4 feet I estimate.

Locating the boiler in the external closet would free the old airing cupboard up to be used solely as a closet (and internal space is at a premium); however I'm concerned that having the boiler and part of the condensate pipework in an unheated breeze block cupboard (with only a thin pine cupboard door between it and the elements) could create problems in very cold weather.

Is it likely that the condensate pipe could freeze/back before draining back into the soil stack inside the property? Are there any other issues with locating a boiler in an unheated/partially exposed area? Would I be better off just locating it inside the property? There's not likely to be any difference in cost/installation between the two options as the internal airing cupboard and external meter cupboard are parallel (so easy enough to run pipework, etc.)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry, you can't put boilers in with meters.
It's in the BS for installation of meters.

Gas regs (GSIUR) says "no person shall contravene.... make less safe......", etc, so although it's not in the boiler installation rules, you can't do it.
Most boiler installers wouldn't know cos they don't install meters. I only do cos I assess gas men!

Sorry, you can't put boilers in with meters.
It's in the BS for installation of meters.

Gas regs (GSIUR) says "no person shall contravene.... make less safe......", etc, so although it's not in the boiler installation rules, you can't do it.
Most boiler installers wouldn't know cos they don't install meters. I only do cos I assess gas men!

So would that apply when you have a internal meter in a cupboard for example you wouldn't be allowed to put a boiler in there?

I've seen that hundreds of times would it be ncs

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. To be honest, I had suspected that was the case. This makes me a bit suspicious of the firm that proposed it (even though it's a very large, reputable plumbing/CH co). They also told me that I could just use a plume kit to raise the height of the flue whereas British Gas told me they would need to cut a new hole in the brickwork and also use a plume kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back