buying house - 22 year old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
traditional boiler in airing cupboard with hot water cylinder (+immersion).
It seems to work fine but I imagine it will need replacing at some point. My concern is the location. Airing cupboard is internal - no outside wall. I imagine it would have to be a new condensing boiler? So Qs are
* is that a correct assumption?
* does it need an outside wall to allow the excess water to escape?
* if so would that mean lots of disruptive new pipework to relocate the boiler?
* or could one use the downstairs loo which is beneath the airing cupboard
cheers!

Sponsored Links
Yes any replacement gas boiler will have to be condensing. Your bigger problem could be the flue- if it's currently hidden in a chimney or similar that's a big no no.
Condensate/prv can drain internally, the loo below will probably work.

The owner of a listed building had a problem similar to yours when installing a gas boiler. He found a solution using a twin flue boiler from Keston

Discover Keston’s domestic and light commercial boilers with twin flue capability. Designed for challenging home and business installations, our range of efficient boilers and accessories include Combi, Heat Only and System models, as well as magnetic system filters.

when I poked my head into the attic there seemed to be a flue going up and throught the roof...

Sponsored Links
Yes, the condensate must be discharged into a plastic waste system, so as long as the toilet drain is plastic (not cast iron) then it would be suitable.
An alternative is to use a condensate pump.

If you are an end of terrace or Semi detached with a flank wall, you could relocate the boiler to the loft. Thats what we did and it works fine. Nerxt door has their boiler in the airing cupboard on the landing with the flue going out the roof. Condensate is piped between the upstairs floor and the downstairs ceiling and tees into the bath drain

Thanks all.
Semi-detached.

At this stage a) not yet bought b) boiler is still working and c) I'm not looking to renegotiate price.

Just want an idea of how complex, disruptive and/or costly an upgade could be. I could of course pay an engineer to inspect and quote but it's pretty self-evident he'd say it will need replacing in the near future so I might as well wait till that moment before getting formal quotes.

From your helpful responses above it seems there are various options, not all of which will involve re-laying pipework all over the place!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back