combi boiler help needed....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first things first please dont shout as im new and ive been reqomened to try here from a different website....

right guys in my house theres a worcester 28i junior combi boiler(first time ive ever had a combi boiler fitted lol) this was already fitted prior to me moving in.the thing is there is a consten drip coming from the overflow pipe outside which is slowly getting worst.ive just had a little look at the combi(i know nothing about them)and the pressure is at 4. bar.ive found out from other sites that is way too high and it should only be around 1.5 bar,so following some advise is ive now blead the rad to get the presure down but within seconds it was back upto 4bar.so i had a look under the boiler and the filling loop(silve breaded pipeing)is still attached so i made sure that was turned off via the plastic lever and started to unscrew the pip off,but it started to pour out water so i had to put it back on quick.
so could this valve be my problem to it over flowing and the pressure being too high?if so is it a easy job to fix ie turn system off,turn stopcock off and just undo the valve and replace? or is there anything else it could be?

Sponsored Links
Does the lever on the valve feel loose, If so remove it and turn it with a small spanner or somthing similar, On the two flats

It's normal for a little water to escape from the filling loop when you disconnect it - but not a continuous flow.

Make sure your system is cold with the electricity turned off, and leave the filling loop valve closed. Try turning your main house stopcock off, and let pressure out of your heating circuit until it's below about 2 bar. Wait and see if the pressure increases - it shouldn't.

Now, without touching the heating system, re-open the main stopcock. If the pressure in the heating system rises, then water is getting in from the mains - most likely via the filling loop.

It's possible that the non-return valve in the filling loop could leak - in this case water would escape from your heating system when you undo the filling loop, even with the house stopcock closed.

You can either replace the whole filling loop, or (not so great) add an isolating valve before the existing one. A fairly easy job if you have basic plumbing skills. If that doesn't solve it, there may be a fault within the boiler, and that would be a job for a professional.

If the water has been leaking for some time, it's likely that the heating system will need more corrosion inhibitor added. Also there may be dirt in the pressure relief valve which will cause it to leak, and the system pressure to drop, even if the original problem is fixed.

The pressure should usually be 1 - 1.5 bar when the system is cold.

See also //www.diynot.com/wiki/plumbing:filling_loop.

Hope that helps.

hi guys many thanks for your replys.latest lol...

ive turned the stopcock off at the side of the combi and undon one side of the filling loop.allowed the drips to clear and then turned the water back on and fiddled about with the lever on the filling loop until the flow of water stopped. left it for a while great no more leaking water. so screwed the filling loop back on as the prusser had dropped down to around .5bar and topped upto 1.bar. great i thought and went out.just came back and looked at it and the pressure is on 0 i had to top it back up again before i could turn it on? what would case this as ive looked for leaks around the house and theres nothing.only damp patch is the carpit underneith the boiler which i presumed was from earlyer on.

this is the bolier ive got
Image144.jpg

Image145.jpg

Image146.jpg

Image150.jpg

Image148.jpg

Image147.jpg

ive not got a clue which pipe is which and to what the fault could be and the wife is starting to get a little worryed now due to us not haveing anymoney at the momnet to pay for a plumber to come out and look at it?

Sponsored Links
id take a look at parts around the pipe 2nd from right seems to be a bit of rust going on there, check for any leaks there 1st

There should be a pipe from the pressure relief valve which will go outside - check if it's leaking from there.

If the system is losing pressure too quickly, it needs the leak fixing. Topping up on a regular basis won't do it any good.

Once the system is filled, disconnect the filling loop as that way you know that no water is flowing through it. This will make finding the leak easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back