Combi boiler issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to get the condensate pipe cleaned last year due to buildup, apparently the pipe is in the wall so the plumber could only vacuum the crap out basically.

Fast forward 9 months and its clogged again, same person came and hoovered it out and said the only way to cure it is to install a new condensing pipe to outside for 80 pound.

Is there any particular reason why the condensate keeps building up? The boiler is now 5 years old.

I had another fault which happened at the same time as the pipe clogging yesterday - low water pressure, pressure was fine, plumber came back out and said the water pressure sensor has had water ingress and has rusted. He cleaned out the part as best as possible but said i need a new water pressure transducer.

Its working at the minute after the clean, is it likely to last long before it goes properly? And how much do you think that would cost to replace? The parts only 40 quid.

Sponsored Links
boiler model and photos are handy....or wait for the wit about clairvoyants and crystal ball batteries etc

Been to several blocked condi pipes this year, all on new(ish) builds.
All have had the condi pipe teed into the sink waste pipe, which spills debris into the pipe as the sink is emptied.

In all cases I had just enough room to cut the condi pipe, and repair with a rubber sleeve so that if it happens again, it's a 2 minute job to clean it.

There is always a small risk of the pipe freezing if it is run outside, although many times there is no alternative.

Sponsored Links
Ye
Been to several blocked condi pipes this year, all on new(ish) builds.
All have had the condi pipe teed into the sink waste pipe, which spills debris into the pipe as the sink is emptied.

In all cases I had just enough room to cut the condi pipe, and repair with a rubber sleeve so that if it happens again, it's a 2 minute job to clean it.

There is always a small risk of the pipe freezing if it is run outside, although many times there is no alternative.
My house is a new build seems to be a theme, he mentioned about sleeving the pipe to help when its bad weather.

Exactly how the pipe is finally connected to the waste pipes can make a lot of difference.

Putting it in from above lessens the amount it gets blocked.

with the condense blocking i normally find its shyte from the washing machine when its connected under the sink

Our condensate pipe has been fixed to empty just below the shower drain in the adjacent bathroom. This then drains to a foul drain.

Do you think this could lead to problems, such as hair going down the shower drain?

Is there an easy way to clear the pipe myself? All they have seemed to do to clear it is put a hoover on it for 5 minutes and its emptied out, cost 40 quid a go though and its happened twice in one year. Is there a way i could do it? He mentioned pullling a plastic pipe off which is under the boiler and letting it drain out then putting it back on once drained?

Ye

My house is a new build seems to be a theme, he mentioned about sleeving the pipe to help when its bad weather.
Sleeve the pipe in July? Hottest week this year so far? Htf is it blocking now when it's not freezing?

New build, I'd be calling the builders back, get round your neighbours and see what problems they are having. Sounds like a dodgy install.

How old is the house?

how is sleeving it going to stop it blocking as you said it was under the sink :confused: , FFS either reinstall it to outside or do what your only worried about and save that £40 and clean your own shyting pipes out as your the one putting the shyte down the sink waste or cleaning your sh!tty clothes in the washing machine ;):rolleyes: .

£40 ffs ill be a minimum double that ;)

I think he means lag it when it's fitted outside guys!!
There won't be a proper run on it and it could be airlocking so not blocked. I see it all the time on new build.
Could be blocked as well where it tees into drain under sink.
I'd also think the low water switch shouldn't be 'blocked' with dirt on a new boiler!
Possible water ingress onto switch depending on age of boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back